Cold Turkey, 18 May 2167 | @Murad
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Apr 27 2018, 10:55 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts
There are moments that the words don’t reach There is suffering too terrible to name You hold your child as tight as you can And push away the unimaginable The moments when you’re in so deep It feels easier to just swim down

There was a knock at the door.

Perhaps the saddest thing about it was not that it was Reese, for since the news on May 2nd that he had been part of Typic United he had been a constant dot on the police's radar. They had stopped a good number of fights that happened when he'd been asked to leave bars; there had been a few incidents where, like the night in early March, Reese had been taken home half-conscious and entirely saturated with alcohol. No, that Reese was on the other side of the door was not the surprise.

The surprise was that he was stone cold sober, and he was in tears with a bag of carry out in his hand. Perhaps the most disturbing thing about the picture was that he wasn't crying right by any standards. There were times to sob -- ugly snot drenched faces and puffy eyes; there were happy tears, angry tears, frustrated tears, confused tear -- tears in as many types as a rats in a sewer.

This man's tears fell into none of the categories. They had stopped falling, but the red in his eyes said they had only just finished, and yet his expression was blank -- emotionless in a way that didn't read empty depression, but instead the neutral expression of an every day citizen walking down the street, listening to the morning radio show.

"Detective Hassan?" His voice didn't shake like it usually did. He didn't fumble and there was no slur to his words. "Open the door." Calm -- like the eye of a storm. "I don't know if you like Italian food, but I've got some we could share." An offer -- a beggar offering a dime for a night with a roof over his head.

His head fell against the door frame. "Please, open the door." he requested again, knuckles tapping again the door, a desperate child who desperately wanted someone to assure him that the nightmare that he had just lived through wasn't real.

"Do you remember my friend?" he said to the door. His singular friend -- a list of people who might have thought they were friends aside. Labels were not his forte and 'friend' was one that he panicked about handing out. "The one I told you about... the one I--" He tried to work out how to put it into words and then decided that this was a lost cause, brought back his fist and slammed it into the door frame with a satisfying thud. "Jesus fucking Christ." he breathed.

Who was going to answer the door for Reese Marshall? He set the food down in front of the door before he turned to walk back towards his room.

@Murad Hassan| lemme know if anything needs to be changed! (also if this is a terrible starter/concept, lemme know and I will toss us up something else. I felt like it would be a spot when he would be emotionally vulnerable enough to actually go over.)
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Apr 28 2018, 08:45 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
145 Posts
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There’d been a lot of paper in Murad’s life lately. Generally, he preferred tablets, but when you were really confused or really concerned, there was nothing quite like pulling out a piece of paper, pinning it to the wall, scribbling all over it.

But since he’d gotten switched to homicide, since he’d gotten put on Vels’s case, since he and Leo weren’t talking, he’d found himself getting into a lot of paper. The case was bugging him—something didn’t feel right. It was off, in details he couldn’t describe. For one, Vels didn’t like guns. For another—

What was another? That was the issue. He had photos from the video, fingerprints, records of the crime scene, everything—and nothing pointed him towards a conclusive answer. In addition, his new department was working as hard as they could to neatly package it up and send the man away. To try to imply anything different, or even speak up on doubts, was a good way to get into trouble. He knew that.

And yet, here he was, working away on the case on his off hours—not that he had anything else to do—and wondering if he was getting to the point of being obsessive. His button down shirt hung open around his body, he had a faint line of stubble on his jaw, and his hair lacked its usual groomed quality. He was focused on the pictures on the wall, so focused that it took a minute for him to realize that there was someone knocking on the door.

And then he realized someone was speaking, too. He turned, realized it was Reese, and grimaced. Right. Hadn’t he seen on the news? The guy had apparently been in Typic United—a fact that Murad had never been informed of, even when he’d been pulled in for babysitting—and Murad could imagine that his life had taken a turn for the—well, perhaps worse was too much of an exaggeration, but certainly unpleasant.

For a moment, he debated opening the door. He was not in the mood for this, his emotional stability wasn’t all that good right now, and he was not Reese’s friend.

But…maybe two lonely guys could make some right.

He sighed, draped the tapestry back over the pegboard, then moved to open the door.

“Don’t hurt my door, will ya?” he said, eyeing the man. He’d definitely been crying. “Where’s the food, then? You wanna come in, or are you just gonna sit there and feel more sorry for yourself?”

@Reese Marshall
PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: May 1 2018, 10:13 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts
There are moments that the words don’t reach There is suffering too terrible to name You hold your child as tight as you can And push away the unimaginable The moments when you’re in so deep It feels easier to just swim down

Reese turned around. The expression his face was one of confusion. No less than literally, he looked at Murad and then over his own shoulder as if the idea that someone was talking to him and inviting him into somewhere was something that he could not fathom. Perhaps, it was different because he didn't look tipsy; there was no smile on his features or mischief in his eyes the way that usually happened when he and Murad crossed paths.

There was no comment at the moment as he moved back over to the other man and pushed the bag of food into his hands. He paused at the door as if he wasn't sure if stepping past it was going to electrocute him. It would not have been the first time this month that someone he thought he was on good terms with hurt him.

One of the coworkers who asked him now and again about his day had knocked him unconscious (by accident, by the account of every other worker on site), with a metal beam. No one had called 911, no one had even gotten a first aid kit. Reese was out less than a minute, and had been forced to take leave without pay until things worked themselves out.

He knew that Theo was cold blooded, but he had never given his brother enough credit. (And he didn't have the self-esteem to realize that the choice was an attempt to keep Reese out of harm's way -- away from a place where rogue metal beams were the least of his worries when nail guns and jack hammers were a staple.) So he hesitated before he crossed the threshold, and then he flinched as if he expected something to hit him or Murad to scream at him.

It didn't happen, and that confused Reese more.

His hair was unkempt and he had more scruff than he usually did. Slowly and silently, as if he wasn't entirely sure any of this was real, he moved over to take a seat on the couch where he had sat months ago before his life had been ripped away from him by ANNie.

He was silent as he settled, still waiting for Murad to kick him out. He was not a Reese that Murad had ever before had the displeasure of meeting, save perhaps in the shock following the initial accident.

And then he said three words: "Well, we're done." and the statement was so clearly not directed at the interaction between the two standing in the room, but the third party that had joined them in spirit the last time Reese had settled onto his couch and expressed an opposite sentiment.

He had had a friend -- a friend he wanted to be more. It was over.

Slowly, he looked at the detective and then back down at his hands. This Reese was not one who hummed or broke into song; he wasn't one who tried to trick people into giving him a beer; he wasn't one who swore left and right; he wasn't a Reese who anyone could befriend (even by accident) because there was nothing beneath his eyes or in his voice. He was a corpse walking and talking. He couldn't handle this and he had opted out of it all, leaving a shell to make the rounds.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: May 6 2018, 07:46 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
145 Posts

Murad wasn’t sure he had the willpower to deal with this right now. Between the increasingly clear and yet baffling case, the…thing with Leo that he still couldn’t get out of his head (and why couldn’t he get him out of his head, they hadn’t even dated that long), and the changing position, he wasn’t sure he could handle Reese the walking dead.

He realized he was grinding his teeth and stopped, letting out a breath. Just because he’d let his standards slip a little bit lately didn’t mean he was going to cause himself dental problems. One had to have some standards, after all.

“Ah,” he breathed out. “Take it he didn’t like the whole TU thing, did he? You never mentioned—was he an evo or something?” He stared at the man, wondering if there was a way to shake this guy back into life. He didn’t have time for this. And he’d been soaked in enough of his own self-pity to recognize it when he saw it. His lips drew back into a brief, frustrated snarl—not that Reese was looking—and then he breathed out and settled down, peering into the bag of food because why not. “You gonna come over here and eat with me or what?” He looked up. “Promise you have more energy to mope if you actually eat things. Makes a big difference.”

He rose to fetch some plates and started serving it out—some for him, more for Reese, who he suspected could use some food. “You look like hell. How do they let you show up to work looking like that?”

@Reese Marshall
PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: May 10 2018, 09:06 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

Reese looked up, frowned, and then looked back at his hands. Murad wasn't his friend. Hell, Murad wasn't even the nicest guy in the building, but he didn't have anyone else to turn to. Obviously there was Leo (but he was pretty sure that wasn't going to be a good experience either) and the kid next door had moved out. He didn't know anyone else in the area except for of course the population a couple blocks over who would have preferred he was strung up like Christmas lights in December.

For a moment, Reese seemed like he wasn't going to say anything.

He needed someone there. He remembered these rules from his time in Shangri-La and in the psych ward. It was the reason that he had had a room mate -- to try to keep both of them steady. He didn't say anything as Murad set food onto a plate for him. The topic he'd come here to talk about was too much for him to bear and he did what he always did when he didn't know how to put words.

He sat in silence, opening his mouth, looking like he was in physical pain from his own inability ability to function, and then closing his mouth again -- over and over in sequence. It was coupled with grimaces and head shakes that answered nothing except for the question do you know how to function like a human anymore?.

And then he gave him an easier question to answer. It provoked a laugh -- one that was disdainful as he ran his hands over his face. "I got let go." he answered. It wasn't a secret that he had been employed by his father and brother. His current job was part time and he basically only worked when they were closed. "So I don't have much of a dress code right now."

He stared at the food for a moment and then got up. "I'm going to wash my hands. You mind?" he asked, as if someone would invite him in and offer him food and then be too disgusted to let him use some soap and water.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: May 12 2018, 12:45 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
145 Posts

No, Murad was not the nicest guy in the building. But he was continuously confused as to why Reese didn’t consider him a friend. No, they weren’t close. Yeah, Reese only got to see him when he was drunk and/or in need, and no, Murad had never really been thrilled about the arrangement. But his definition of friendship was pretty straightforward—would you be there when they needed you to be? And for Reese, Murad would be.

Even if the man was fucking frustrating at times, selfishly depressed and determined to make everything about him. It took a special kind of egomania for that.

Then again, he was also not exactly in his best mood as of late, so there was that.

Murad let out a breath at Reese’s answer, and studied the man, rubbing his own scratchy chin. “Got it. Guess people don’t take to well to blatant discrimination, still. Great to know that not all of political correctness is dead and all that shit.” Mind, this was coming from someone who’d faced more than his usual share of it lately. He realized he was clenching his teeth and let out a slow breath, then shook his head. “Nah. You know where the bathroom is.”

He watched Reese go, then set out the food for them both. He was leaning back in his seat, waiting for Reese, when the other man came back out.

“Want to tell me what you were thinking with those messages?” he asked. “Or is that off topic, like your friend?” He studied the man. “Or are you just gonna continue moving around like the walking dead? ‘Cause I gotta be honest, Reese, it’s a less good look on you than it was several years ago.”
@Reese Marshall
PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: May 15 2018, 10:31 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

Reese's mother would have written Murad a list of rules of engagement for speaking with her son. It would have started, of course, with being far more gentle than he was (Reese was delicate and his moods were easily swayed -- she would have claimed). It would have ended with a simple sentiment - never let him into a room with a lock.

Reese got to the bathroom, hesitated, and then let out a breath before he stepped in, as if stepping across the threshold required a certain level of constitution. The water turned on, ran, and then turned off. Reese hesitated again. His eyes moved from the door to the mirror and then back to the door.

Then he walked back out of the bathroom and seated himself where he had been sitting. Silently, he stared at the food even as the man who would have been labeled as his friend by any normal human asked him a question and waited for an answer.

He ran his hand over his face when the question was posed. Slowly, he licked his lips as if they didn't work without something to get them going. "Um." he started and then let out a breath. "I don't know..." he answered. "Maybe that I was twenty years old. I thought it was funny." It was the same answer that he had given on TV before he'd been just-shy-of tugged off of the stage with a cane looped around his torso. "I'm not in TU. I was for a while, because I couldn't get out. When you're -- You don't wear the wrong color jersey in the stands... you know what I mean?"

He took in a breath and let out his breath again. "And yes. He was. Is. He is an evo." There was another pause and Reese's hand moved to pinch his nose at his tear ducts to try to keep himself in check. "But he didn't fucking open his door." Like his brother, Theo had; Like his friend Larissa had.

Like Murad had.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: May 20 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
145 Posts

Murad had forgotten about the lock thing up until the moment when Reese stepped into the bathroom. Then he leaned back to watch the door, waiting silently. He did know how to pick the lock for the bathroom—Murad didn’t move into a place unless he knew that he could get in and out of any room even if locked in or out—but that would take time, and he couldn’t be sure if he could get there in time.

But Reese came out, and Murad let out a soft breath as Reese settled down in front of the food.

Murad’s lips thinned. “Funny,” he said, voice flat. He rose to his feet, fetched a few pieces of paper from the printer, and set them out one by one in front of Reese. They were photos of Murad’s possessions – his car, his sidecar, his locker. Each one had been spray-painted with some kind of genetic slur. “Guess you would’ve found this funny, too. But trust me, those of us who have to live with this really don’t.” He gathered up the images and put them on a stack on a bookshelf. “So you were in TU and then got scared to leave, right?” He shook his head. “Typical. On that front, you’re not the first. Not saying I get it, just saying—you’re not alone. Booked a lot of kids for the same kind of shit. And I guess even at 20 you would’ve been what I call a kid.”

In the meantime, might as well break the lock. He fetched his tools from a drawer kept under the couch, then went to the door to start messing with it.

“He probably isn’t gonna, not for a while,” Murad called from around the door. “Either give it time, find a fucking awesome way to grovel, or get over it.” He peered around the wall. “You can cry, y’know. I’m hardly the one to judge you for it. And it’s better than shutting down like you keep doing.”

@Reese Marshall
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV A marvel infinity war rp Marvel Heroes RPG GLITTER & GOLD

Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black
Miniprofile by charli and code box by thunderstuck
Cbox emoticons by cookiemagiK