Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 4 2018, 03:42 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
143 Posts
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Murad made it a rule not to come to this particular club that often.

Or, well, it wasn’t a rule. More of a habit. For one, he didn’t feel he fit into the culture very well. While he was certainly clean-cut, with his hair perfectly styled and his shirt and slacks nicely pressed, his outfit lacked a certain flair. For another, he was getting way too old for this scene. Working odd hours for his job allowed him to look 1 AM square in the face without flinching, but that didn’t mean that he wanted to see it on a regular basis. Plus, clubs were loud, and he could only go so long before he saw something that would put him back On Duty.

But every once in a while, a man had a desire to be seen. Flirt. Pretend like he was normal. Maybe buy a nice man a drink, chat, and then see where it led. So while Murad was never here more than once a month, and that at the most, he did come by to visit, trading out his jeans and badge for slacks and a blazer. The gun, unfortunately, stayed. Some habits die hard, and Murad had nightmares of the day that he was caught in a situation without a weapon.

Most of the time, nothing came of it. He would have a couple of drinks, maybe swap numbers with a man, and then go home. Occasionally, he might even have some company. But due to his tendencies towards lectures on illegal substances, that didn’t happen often.

Tonight, though, he had to admit that he was enjoying himself despite the awkwardness. The crowd seemed more relaxed than normal. The bartender, who was new and not in his 20s either, had given him a free drink. Murad couldn’t remember the last time that had happened. And even though Murad was completely and utterly tone-deaf, even he could tell that the music was good tonight. His left foot tapped idly as he listened, standing in the corner out of habit as his eyes scanned the room. He’d finished his first drink but was not inclined to a second – hangovers were no longer something he put up with if he could help it.

Eventually, his eyes lit on a well dressed man, also on the slightly older side, who seemed raptly focused on the music. He was well built, tall, and with intriguingly blue eyes. Murad did another scan of the room, shrugged, and then wove to the crowd to make it over to the man. For a moment, he just stood beside him, studying the band. For once, it wasn’t a group doing covers of the latest trendy thing. This band had their own style – mostly electronic, but with a good beat and an intriguing weave of sounds and styles. Eventually, he lightly touched the back of the man’s arm and, when he turned, offered him his friendliest and mildest smile.

“Enjoying the show?” he inquired, radiating innocent interest. “Name’s Murad. And might I say, you’re very well dressed for this place. Looks good. Don’t come here often, I take it?”

Yeah. Pickup lines were not Murad’s greatest skill.

@Thyme
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 07:06 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
92 Posts
Focused in soundwaves creation and manipulation, Vels can make sounds loud enough to break glass or even bones, or he can make perfect silence. He can hear every conversation in the city at every moment of every day (but he's gotten damn good at finding the ones that matter). His suppressants push his abilities down to a 100 yard diameter, so ... that's better, right?

Vels had had a bad day for him. Earlier that morning, they'd brought in someone who had wronged the cartel. He'd spend a few hours with them before lunch, playing games, chatting -- the usual. And then he'd had lunch with Peter and gotten his least favorite order.

Killing people wasn't fun. There wasn't anything satisfying about putting an end to a life, and while he was not a Malachite anymore, it still settled wrong in his stomach when he had to stop someone's screaming the old fashioned way. It was so much easier to just cut out their tongue or threaten their loved ones and follow through one time.

But that hadn't been the order, and so he walked into the club when he heard the music to try to get things off of his mind.

He turned when he heard that someone was talking to him. The moments between Murad saying something to him and Vels speaking were disconcerting at best. Evolutes didn't use their powers at will -- most tried to keep it under wraps. Most had the goal of passing in their mind. Even those who did use their powers, used them with proper warning or permission--or they were the type that didn't affect others. Healers often used their abilities in public.

In those moments, the sound around them softened. The noise of the club dimmed to nothing -- other people, clinking of glasses, the tapping of heels against the ground. The music was somewhere in between, similar to the easy to understand, crisp sound of a movie's soundtrack. His blue eyes finally turned. It had happened in less than a full three seconds. It was impossible to know for certain what tier he was, but whatever it was, it was something he seemed to be able to do instantaneously and without effort. When he spoke, his voice was easy to hear.

"They're good, but the guitarist is off beat." The sound shifted again so that the only noise that was able to be heard was the tap of the drum followed almost immediately by the pick of the guitar. It sounded almost like a heart beat and then the sound of the band went back to normal tough the seeming bubble around them didn't waver.

He grinned then. "I'm Vels. I don't come by here too often, no. It's not really on my way to work, so why would I. And it isn't near where my friends work either." He spoke as if he had no filter, which he didn't. "But my boss told me I had to work up town and so here I am. I lucked out, though, right?" He ran his hand down his tie.

His suit was one of his tamer ones. Black in color with blue detailing if someone looked inside. His tie was electric, evolute blue -- which perhaps would have been a hint as to his nature from the get-go, and his shirt was charcoal. He didn't understand what his words meant because he was far worse at flirtation and far less astute in the art of seduction than the man who was failing at seducing him. (It helped that the rather lewd pun that was in the bar's name had gone over his head.)

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 01:44 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
143 Posts

@Vels Kruger

Well, that was different. Working for the APD, Murad had encountered a few evos here and there. Not too many, surprisingly. But they fell under the DEA, and if a case sniffed of anything to do with Evolutes, they got called in almost immediately, and the case got pulled away from him. That was part of the job. He’d learned to deal with it. But this was very---different. Not that he, of all people, had any right to be biased. But the hair on the back of his neck stood on end as the noise of the club dimmed behind them, and then the shift in what he could hear to the drum and the guitar.

Murad couldn’t tell the first thing about music, but for a moment, he could almost tell what the mysterious man was talking about. Perhaps if he heard the world like that, he could start liking music too. Or at least, appreciating it for more than background noise and occasional late-night drunken karaoke sessions.

He also got a lot more information than he was expecting from a simple inquiry, and he couldn’t tell if the man was trying to put him off from flirting or encourage him. Or maybe neither. “Lucky for us then,” he murmured, as if volume was going to make any difference for this man. He eyed him up and down idly, wondering if it was worth the efforts of continuing to flirt with this man. Well, thus far he hadn’t been blatantly rejected or responded to. He guessed talking wouldn’t hurt anything, would it?

“Lucked out how?” he inquired instead, stepping forward to stand more directly next to the man. He offered him a smile and then his hand for a firm handshake. “Name’s Murad. Can I buy you a drink?”

There. Worst case he would get turned down—or slapped. He’d only had that happen to him once though, and wasn’t too worried about it happening again. After all, he was older and wiser. And his reflexes were much better.
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 07:41 AM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
92 Posts
Focused in soundwaves creation and manipulation, Vels can make sounds loud enough to break glass or even bones, or he can make perfect silence. He can hear every conversation in the city at every moment of every day (but he's gotten damn good at finding the ones that matter). His suppressants push his abilities down to a 100 yard diameter, so ... that's better, right?

If the entirety of Ark City were playing a game called who picks up social romantic signals the worst, Vels might have been able to win it. There were certainly a good number of men and women in the world who ignored them when they didn't want to think about having a relationship, but that was not how Vels' mind worked. Instead, the question made him cock his head and the offer made him nod.

What would be bad about taking someone up on a drink? Vels considered. And when he ran the numbers in his head, he came up with a grand total of nothing. There could be nothing wrong with taking a drink from a stranger in a place full of jazz.

His body language changed, but it was not because of the drink, though perhaps it seemed that way. It was because the band had paused for a short break and would be back in five minutes. Vels turned towards his friend (perhaps it was horrifying how quickly stranger could change to friend in the other man's man.)

He grinned and then he chimed, "Lucked out that someone's going to buy me a drink, right? That seems lucky." It came across as flirtatious (or eerie, it was a toss of a coin) as his focus narrowed down to Murad, the noise still muted in the world around them so they didn't have to shout about the noise as if no one and nothing else mattered.

"I was going to get an apple sour." he said with certainty and then added: "The other day, I was out with this guy Tony, and he got one, but he wouldn't let me taste it. Must have been good, right, if he wouldn't?" Vels failed to mention that Tony had been sitting next to him at a poker game in the back of a dive where every single person in the room was to varying degrees waiting for Vels to kill them with a snap of his fingers -- no guns or bullets needed. Tony had been using the opposite technique to standing up to what he perceived as a bully than your average man -- it was commendable, though Vels had no idea.

"Anyway! What are you having?" he asked, looking down to Murad's empty hands. "Did you come for the music?" It was an honest question -- Vels had, after all.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 09:24 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
143 Posts

Murad blinked at the man, not expecting such a quicksilver change out of him. He’d gone from what Murad considered polite disinterest to a grin. And he wasn’t altogether sure if the man understood that when he’d offered to buy him a drink, it wasn’t just out of luck. And even though he generally considered himself open to evo powers, he would admit that the way the noise dimmed around them was…

Well, not exactly romantic. It happened that way in movies, but that was just—movies. It didn’t work this way in real life.

He was also beginning to get a weird vibe, couple of drinks in or no. But Murad didn’t really believe in “weird vibes,” so he decided to push forward, at least for now. “This guy Tony sounds rude,” he said, because Murad could occasionally try to be a gentleman and gentlemen agreed with their possible interests on most things, especially when said gentlemen were in the middle of a very long dry spell. “I can do an apple sour, if you want one now.” He made a gesture to the bar and started walking that way, glancing at the man out of the corner of his eye to see if he was following.

“Probably some mixed drink, whatever they have.” Here, where almost no one he knew would go, he didn’t mind ordering some frilly drink. He drank enough beers with his brothers-in-arms to have no desire to have them now. “And no, I didn’t come for the music.” For a moment, he struggled—to tell or not to tell? Eventually, he settled on telling. “You know this is a gay bar, right? Most people don’t come for the music.”

@Vels Kruger
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Apr 8 2018, 01:04 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
92 Posts

Vels nodded at Murad's sentiment. He agreed whole-heartedly that when someone asked you for a favor as easy and as harmless as giving a guy a sip of your drink,especially a guy who was your friend -- Vels used the word far more easily than was traditional. Still, he shrugged. "Maybe he's got Mono." He offered as if that was a reasonable conclusion to draw; as if Tony had clearly been trying to protect him from something dangerous.

Vels brightened up, which perhaps only made it seem more likely that he was at least interested in some way in Murad. (He was, but just not the way that the other man hoped.) He followed after him. "I'd love one." He chimed, grinning from ear to ear. As they walked, the sound shifted all around them. In some ways it was like looking at the world underwater. He turned slightly as if he heard something despite the way that everything was dulled.

Then he focused on Murad again as he stated that it was a gay bar. "Oh, yes!" He nodded quickly. "I know. No one comes to bars for the music," he agreed without hesitation. There was nothing in him that seemed like he was turned off by the idea of a gay bar (mostly because he wasn't; people did as they did; he just already had someone.) "I actually met a guy the other month down the street at a club who had done that." he laughed and grinned. "We spent the night together." Vels phrased poorly. They had sat next to each other through a good number of songs, talked, shaken hands, and gone their separate ways at around midnight when the band packed up.

He caught up to Murad as they reached the bar and the sound shifted again to include the ambiance of the bar tender and the clanking glasses, the swooshing sound of the glasses in the dish washer beneath the bar, and the chatter of the people around him. "So what do you do for work, Murad?"

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 01:51 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
143 Posts

“Uh.” Murad glanced over at Vels, wondering if the man honestly thought that was a valid solution, as Murad didn’t. “Feel like you would’ve known if he had Mono,” he said. Especially since Murad had previously had the illness and it had not been a very pleasant experience—to the point where everyone in his life had been informed that he was sick.

But he did seem excited about the drink. Murad couldn’t tell if it was because he was excited about being bought a drink, or that he was being bought a drink by a (he hoped) cute guy. But Murad wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth right now, The sound shifted around them again, making Murad almost dizzy. It was…disorienting to a man who fought to have an understanding of what was going on. He was used to knowing everything that was going on around him, and the noise moving, changing…that didn’t really help.

Well that seemed…promising. He didn’t say if he’d come for the music—although Murad was willing to bet that he had—and he mentioned that he’d spent the night with a male, nonetheless. Worth a shot.

He ordered Vels’s apple sour and himself some fancy cocktail with a name he couldn’t remember, paid, then leaned against the counter as he turned to look at Vels. That shifting of sounds was beginning to get to him, but he’d been a cop for far too long to let it show. “I’m a cop,” he said, because he didn’t try to hide that, especially here, and in this situation. If they had an issue with cops, he’d rather have it out long before it got farther. “How about you? Apparently nothing near here, you said. I got that much.”

@Vels Kruger
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 02:00 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
92 Posts

Vels blinked when Murad said that his idea didn't make sense. In truth, he had known three people during his time in the Carrie Institute who had come down with Mono and he had not really been allowed to go near them during the entire tenure of the sickness. He'd never really researched the disease when he had been young -- too distracted by a thousand other things that seemed far more relevant to his life. (Things like how to sneak out of the Institute or how to get to a piano between classes before the DEA had taken over his life and situated him into Peter Gomorrah's hands.)

If Vels had known that Murad didn't like the shifting sound, he would have stopped. It was easier for him to make a bubble of sound than it was to pin point voices, and so the underwater, murky technique that he was using now was just one that he used in loud places. The shifting of it was like the gentle tide of a wave.

He picked up the apple sour and was raising it to his lips when Murad said that he was a cop. His eyes widened but not int he way that they should have. It was like Vels had met a hero of his from childhood--eyes sparkling and smile growing wider and wider. "A cop?" he repeated. "That's so dory. Do you have a gun -- that's a stupid question. Nevermind. Every cop as a gun. A cop. Wow." He seemed to be just getting more and more excited at the idea.

Whether, in retrospect or from an outside perspective, it was an amazing con or whether Vels was so thoroughly disconnected from the fabric of reality that he didn't realize how dangerous it was to be a cartel capo standing centimeters from an officer of the law, one would never know. "I actually do kind of the same thing. I catch bad guys; and I set things straight. So we're both heroes!" he concluded, as if they were comic book characters instead of two men having a drink in a bar.

@Murad Hassan | Let's do a small set up for Murad recognizing problems in the tape? Or -- I mean, he legitimately hates guns. He carries his around for show? Maybe we could go that route?? just an idea?
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Apr 22 2018, 01:37 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
143 Posts

Murad wasn’t really expecting that reaction. Typically, in bars like this, the men he tried to hit on had two reactions to that statement—mild interest or curiosity, or outright running-for-the-hills terror. He’d only seen that kind of excitement once, and it had been the last time he’d went home with a man.

Which had been a good night, he’d admit to himself, but hardly something he wanted or expected to happen again. It had been fun, but a little creepy to wake up to someone rifling through his closet and then asking him to put on his dress uniform and handcuff the guy to the bed. Which had been roughly the time that Murad had kicked him out of his apartment.

Well, he had a couple of tricks for sounding out the cop-obsessed these days. He preferred that to ending up in bed with one again. “Yup, I have a gun,” he said. “Could take you shooting or something, if you want. Do you want to see it?” He didn’t have it on him because he was a civilian at this moment, not on duty, but if the man said yes he’d thank him for his time and escape before things got weird.

But what the hell did this guy do? Bouncer, maybe? Bodyguard? Murad blinked and tilted his head to the side as he considered the man, wondering if he meant it or not. “Oh really? What do you do? Haven’t seen you around much—would’ve thought I had, if we were in the same line of work.”

@Vels Kruger | Holler if this doesn't work for you and I can adjust. //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: May 8 2018, 10:30 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
92 Posts

The frown that ran across the man's face was almost endearing in its momentary naivete. "A shooting range?" he repeated as if he had never even considered that a potential place to go with someone. He wondered if his girl would have liked a shooting range.

He decided she wouldn't. Guns were for killing people or hurting them. His girl did neither of those activities.

"Nonono." He said as if it was one word. "I don't like guns." he said simply. "They're so loud. You have to wear ear plugs blocks away, and they're so easy to track. Did you know that you can run ballistics on bullets and you can tell someone exactly what gun the bullet came from?" he asked as if Murad hadn't just said he was a cop. (Then he caught himself.) "Oh, right. You probably know that. Do they teach you that kind of thing in the academy?" he asked, half talking over Murad as he asked his question.

Vels only managed to slow down for a few seconds, and he answered the detective in the most round about way he possibly could (giving almost no real, tangible idea of what he did. "I bet that is a really cool job -- looking at bullets. Except that you'd have to shoot guns all day. Do you know they thought about getting rid of guns in the early 2000's? I mean, it would be a lot different now. Do you think the DEA would have blow darts. I've never used blow darts, but I bet I could add them to my routine at work." He nodded. (His next victim was in for a hell of a surprise.)

"Anyway, what I do is..." the room went fully silent and he lowered his voice as if he couldn't easily mute himself to the rest of the room. "classified." As he said it, he brushed off his shoulder as if that explained anything. "But I save people. That's what's important."

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: May 12 2018, 08:20 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
143 Posts

Murad’s brows climbed at the man’s statement. Well that had been a lot more firm than he’d been expecting. And why did he care that guns were easy to track? Murad’s vague discomfort was beginning to become much more prominent. “Yeah,” he said, setting his hardly-touched drink down and deciding he wasn’t going to have any more, no matter how expensive it was. “At the academy, yeah, but also at college, where I studied criminal science. And you know, in all the crime shows too. They kinda helped.”

The guy seemed very bright and at the same time, very weird. Kinda like a very bright kid, except…older. But now that Murad was thinking of the guy as a kid, he was having a hard time with the attraction aspect. In fact, he was kind of wondering if there was a way to back away, slowly.

Probably not. Maybe he could just make sure the guy got really, really bored.

“You don’t have to just shoot guns all day,” he tried, then gave up. “Yeah, I heard about that. DEA would still have guns. That’s usually how governments work, you know. And blow darts at…work…?” He stared at the man, clearly confused, then looked around the room just as it went silent. Classified…? What? He stared at the man for a moment longer, then offered a smile.

Saved people, right.

“Saving people is good,” he said. Absently, he reached for his phone and tapped a button until it started vibrating. Then he pulled it out to look at that. “Speaking of saving people, looks like I just got called in.” He flashed the man a smile. “Nice talking to you, I think.”

@Vels Kruger | Wrap maybe?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV A marvel infinity war rp Marvel Heroes RPG GLITTER & GOLD

Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black
Miniprofile by charli and code box by thunderstuck
Cbox emoticons by cookiemagiK