Ark City
quick links
staff
December 2017 Featured RPG
Ark City
Spring 2167 // March April May

Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Drama? What Drama?, March 2167 | Leo
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 26 2018, 09:59 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Lugia is Online

Date 4 with Leo. A point he’d never thought he’d reach—hadn’t been expecting to reach, frankly. When he’d first accepted the doctor’s invite out, he’d figured—maybe a couple of dates, some fun laughing, and then parting in mild mutual dissatisfaction. The doctor had seemed resistant to any sort of drama—he seemed to let it wash over him, so Murad hadn’t been expecting him to get attached. And it had been quite some time since Murad had felt anything for the men that he’d dated, so he hadn’t really been worried about that from his end either.

Well, it just showed that Murad could really be a grade-A idiot. His mother would not have been surprised. Drinks had been followed by dinner, and then a date after that. He still hadn’t slept with Leo, although the makeout sessions had continued, and he was pretty sure Leo thought he was nuts. But there were a couple of reasons for the lack of physical intimacy—one was, that the more time Murad spent with Leo, the more he liked the guy. Which was rare. Generally Murad had a limited tolerance for people. He spent all day seeing the worst in them, and tended to spot flaws quickly when outside of work. This guy probably cheated on his wife, for example, or another guy who definitely lived outside of his means embezzled. And once you slept with a person—well, you saw a new side of them. And they saw one of you—he wasn’t ready for that.

The second reason was because the detective was still aware how much he was getting in over his head with this. It was not legal to ban an officer from having an out-of-work relationship with anyone. But there were still unofficial policies. No dating felons, for example, or former cons. Leo didn’t technically fall under either of those categories. But he did have cartel ties that Murad himself had spotted and shared with his lieutenant. While they dated, he was in the clear, albeit murkily. If they slept together and were found out, he’d be in deep shit.

And lastly, Murad was toeing the line of moral greys, even for him. He had made a conscious effort not to ask into anything that might be cartel-related after the first date, realizing that his initial plan of getting information out of Leo wasn’t going to work. But he’d still avoided the topic of what he investigated as a detective.

That should change today, he’d decided. Better rip that bandage off now than let it continue to itch at him. If he was lucky, Leo would break off whatever…this was with him now and spare him heartache later.

As one might have noticed, Murad didn’t always have the best impression of relationships.

But for now, on this Saturday—the first warm one of the season—he was feeling good. He’d asked Leo out for a lunch outside, figuring the weather would be good. He’d asked for the man’s food preferences in advance for sandwiches (nothing fancy) and had picked them and a couple of bottles of beer up before showing up. He’d also made some of his mother’s roz bel ladan (rice pudding), which was one of the few things he knew how to cook. Even though Leo could’ve come to his place, Murad had come to Leo’s door to knock. He had his aviator sunglasses on (fake, the real ones were too expensive these days), a jean jacket that was cut well but soft to the touch, t-shirt, and jeans, and looked about as casual as he could get. His shoes were spotless though, and he had the bag of things slung over his shoulder.

“Hey,” he greeted with a warm smile. The dark glasses hid the way his eyes flickered over the man. “Figured we could take the bike today. Did you want to find a park here or mind going to a nicer part of town?”

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 26 2018, 11:31 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts
If Leo touches a person's bare skin (alive or dead), he can tell you everything about their physical history. Medical conditions, healed breaks, pregnancies, surgeries, anything that has affected their body in any way. He can also feel anything they are currently feeling - pain, nausea, breathlessness etc, as if it’s his own body.

@Murad Hassan

Date #4.

This shit was getting real.

Leo had never really dated before. Well - never dated at all, actually. There had been nobody eligible when he was a teenager in the Cartel, and at medical school he’d been too busy studying to put his time into anything more than a few friends with benefits. Then he’d graduated, and started the clinic, and...there just hadn’t been the opportunity, really. Dating was something that happened to other people. Leo just usually had one-night-stands.

Which was what he’d expected when he asked Murad out, if he was honest. He hadn’t expected drinks and dinner and all that shit, and he especially hadn’t expected to like Murad Hassan as much as he did. They could talk about light issues, or serious ones, and all without arguing. They could make each other laugh. Leo had the sneaking suspicion that he was making a new friend.

They still hadn’t slept together, which Leo was still confused about. He’d expected it for the last two dates, but nothing had happened. After a little while, he’d realised that sex was a way bigger deal for Murad than it was for him - probably because Murad usually did the dating thing, rather than the one-night-stands thing - and that he wasn’t being rejected. It was a novel situation, but Leo had accepted it. Besides, dates were kinda fun.

“Come in!” Leo called when he heard Murad’s knock on the door, leaning out of the kitchen to give him a smile. “Just be a sec,” he said. “Make yourself at home.”

Leo’s apartment was small and cosy, all second-hand furniture and heavily-laden bookshelves. Rugs warmed the threadbare carpet, and cards and photographs were stuck on every bare stretch of wall. The aroma of melted chocolate hung heavy in the air. After a minute or two he reappeared, grinning, a tin in one hand and a thermos in the other. “Let’s go to a fancy park,” Leo replied. “One of the Haven ones.”

He reached for his bag, placed the flask inside and held up the tin. I make you food of my people! he said, hamming up a thick Polish accent for a moment before he couldn’t keep a straight face any longer, and shoved the tin into the bag. Leo looked Murad over, the grin turning into something far more admiring as he did so. How did the guy always look so fucking perfect? Leo was his usual scruffy self, relaxed for the weekend in jeans and a dark red hoodie, which (while form-fitting enough for him not to be ashamed of them) were hardly up to par with Murad’s outfit.

Not that he was good enough with compliments to offer one straight off the bat. Instead, Leo offered: “Dude, why are you wearing sunglasses indoors?” with cheeky grin, before leaning in to kiss him - and damn if it didn’t make something in his chest flutter. “You look hot, by the way. Am I allowed to say that?”
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 27 2018, 01:23 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad took a look around the apartment, smiling at how comfortable it was. His own apartment was hardly barren of personality, as he favored the old Islamic geometric patterns for decorating in bold colors, including one whole-wall tapestry that his grandmother had given him as a boy. But Murad’s focus on personal cleanliness extended to his home, which was largely free of culture and prone to be more spartan than welcoming. Although it wasn’t right now, he reflected ruefully, considering the large pile of dishes in his sink from his cooking adventures. He’d weighed cleaning them over being late, and had decided he’d rather be on time, even if Leo wouldn’t have minded.

It would be his first stop when he was home, though.

Still, he liked the photographs, stepping closer to examine them as he sniffed the air appreciatively. “Do I get to try whatever that is now?” he asked. While Murad was fastidious about his appearance, he also loved food and would eat, delicately, about two times what a normal person could eat in one sitting. He worked it off later, so he didn’t worry about it too much. “Smells great.”

He turned as Leo reappeared with a grin on his face, as usual. He grinned back. “Good, we’re on the same page.”

While he laughed at Leo’s accent, he reached out to try to grab the tin—too late, the man had put it back in the bag. “Damn, your driver doesn’t even get a taste? That’s cold, man. I bet whatever Polish ancestor who gave you that recipe would be ashamed of you right now. What happened to hospitality?” But he grinned to show he was joking. “I hope it’s good. I also brought the food of my ancestors, but I’m pretty sure it’s burnt beyond recognizable taste.”

Hey, he’d never claimed to be good at everything.

Just as he was opening his mouth to offer to take the glasses off, Leo leaned in to kiss him—light for now, which was good, as Murad didn’t know how good his self-control was here in Leo’s apartment. “You can’t make a comment like that and not let me reply,” he protested. “It’s no fun. And you can say that…only if you want my head to get bigger than it is.” He laughed, taking off the glasses and hanging one of the sides off the pocket of his jacket. “So the answer is, fuck yeah. I like the hoodie.” Murad was also bad at compliments, and figured Leo would laugh at him if he told him he looked good. But Murad still liked some scruff on a guy. “C’mon, if we’re going to Haven, it’s gonna take a bit. And I’m hungry.” He tilted his head to the door. “Bike’s downstairs. You want the red or green helmet?” He’d taken off the sidecar and hidden it under a sheet next to his motorcycle. He didn’t know if he could take the embarrassment if Leo saw it. He’d never live it down. Plus, this way let him get more physical contact with Leo.

Shy about sex, maybe a little. Uninterested? Hell no.

@Leo Dobrowolski | Please feel free to have him spot the side car. Murad does not hide things well.
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 27 2018, 02:45 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts
If Leo touches a person's bare skin (alive or dead), he can tell you everything about their physical history. Medical conditions, healed breaks, pregnancies, surgeries, anything that has affected their body in any way. He can also feel anything they are currently feeling - pain, nausea, breathlessness etc, as if it’s his own body.

@Murad Hassan

“Don’t you dare bring my Polish ancestors into this,” Leo said, rolling his eyes with a smirk. “They’ll come back to fuckin’ haunt me. C’mon.” He led Murad through into the kitchen, where half of his creation was still cooling on the side. Leo cut a thick slice and presented it to the other man (along with a wadge of kitchen paper - Murad’s aversion to any sort of mess had not gone unnoticed on their three dates) with a flourish. “It’s called babka. It’s a kind of...chocolate bread-cake.” He’d already had some, but Leo cut himself a sliver as well, and popped it into his mouth with a smirk. It was good, if he said so himself. Leo loved cooking. “Never let it be said that I don’t pay the driver well.”

He made a show of considering Murad’s words. “I dunno....” Leo pondered, rinsing chocolate-smeared fingers under the tap. Can your head get any bigger than it is?” His eyes were bright with humour. Truth be told, he liked Murad’s confidence, the pride in his appearance - and he couldn’t deny that it resulted in Murad usually looking really, really good.

At the compliment to his hoodie, Leo made a face. “Thanks,” he murmured dryly, taking it as a joke - he was hardly dressed up, after all. Murad made looking good seem so effortless, but Leo never seemed to have the time to do anything more than throw some clothes on. He pulled his jacket on, slung his bag across his shoulders, and followed the other man out of the apartment. “Red, obviously,” Leo replied gesturing to the aforementioned hoodie. “Duh. Don’t wanna clash.” It was hard even to act the part of someone who cared all that much about what they wore - his serious expression cracked, and he was chuckling by the time they reached the garage.

He was just clipping the helmet strap under his chin when Leo saw the poorly-concealed structure off to the side. “Oh my God you have a sidecar,” He looked over at Murad, grin widening with delight. “Dude, you didn’t say you were so fucking retro! I love it!” He was almost tempted to ask if they could use it, because Leo never minded making a fool of himself if it was in the name of amusement - but then he remembered that riding pillion would mean he could snuggle up behind a certain detective, and the sidecar no longer seemed so appealing.

Once Murad was seated, Leo climbed up behind him. “God, it’s been years since I got on one of these,” he remarked, pleased to note that his body seemed to have enough muscle-memory to fit him into the best position. He wrapped his arms around Murad’s waist, fingers locked firmly together over the other man’s sternum. “This OK?” Leo asked - and if he was maybe a little closer than he necessarily needed to be, who could blame him?
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 27 2018, 09:24 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad grinned. “I play dirty when it comes to cake. C’mon, has no one ever guilt tripped you before?” He suspected not. Based on things Leo had dropped here and there, he’d gathered that the man’s relationship with his blood relatives had been tenuous, and Murad was willing to bet that when he talked about family in a broader sense, he meant the cartel. He’d seen it before, usually in the boys who volunteered to take the fall for some of the nastier crimes, in turn for being set for life when they got out. He didn’t like it, but he understood it.

It seemed Leo had come prepared though. Murad took the cake and the paper towel with a smile and a nod, taking a hesitant bite. It was good. He’d never dated a guy who could cook well before. He hummed, pleased, and devoured it quickly, nodding his thanks again as he dabbed at his mouth and wiped his hands. “Driver is satisfied,” he said, and leaned in to kiss him briefly to show his appreciation. “Didn’t know you could cook. And you brought more, right?”

He snorted. “Nope. Had a hard enough time fitting through the door this morning.” He reached over to tousle the man’s hair at his reaction to the compliment. “Stop it, I meant it. I like how you look. Even if you don’t give a damn about clashing.” So long as you showered and smelled okay, Murad was fine with it.

Looked like he still needed to improve his hiding skills, though. He managed to hide the grimace, if nothing else because Leo looked like an excited puppy. He wouldn’t go into the litany of things wrong with having the side car—wrong color, wrong era, jenky-as-hell… nope. “Don’t know if retro is the right word,” he said instead, tone mild, but he softened a bit at Leo’s grin. Fuck. “When we get back I can show you how it works, if you want. I bring it to the events we do sometimes with the city—kids fucking love it.”

This was still the better choice, though. Leo had done it before, and Murad didn’t have to adjust his position, even if he was technically slightly closer than he had to be. They’d had enough physical contact at this point where his heart no longer lurched at the contact, but it did speed up a bit to feel the warmth of Leo at his back. Man, he was getting in deep.

“Perfect,” he said, and revved the engine and started towards Haven.

It was hard to talk on a bike in motion, so Murad didn’t really try, only asking if Leo was all right or if he had preferences on parks and such at stops. He was inclined to speed, but aside from that took the same methodological approach to driving as he did to anything else. He finally picked a green park in haven that was perched on a hill. It was a popular spot, with lots of families, couples and groups of friends, but Murad spotted a couple of free areas they could stake for their own.

“Bench or on the grass?” he asked as he removed his helmet, motioning for Leo to get off first. “I’ve got a blanket under the seat, and a couple of camp chair, although they’re the weird ones.” Two legs and tiny. They’d been gifts, so he couldn’t get rid of them, but that didn’t mean he liked them.

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 27 2018, 11:44 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts

@Murad Hassan

Murad’s pleased hum made Leo grin - and he let out a low chuckle when the other man leaned in to kiss him, the taste of chocolate still on his lips. “I am a great cook,” he replied smugly. For once, he wasn’t talking himself up too much - Leo really was good at making food. “I’ll make you dinner sometime - then you’ll be under my spell.” He grinned. “Yeah, the other half’s in my bag. You gotta be extra nice to me, or you won’t get any more.”

The hand in his hair surprised him - Leo looked over in amused confusion, and when Murad said “I like how you look” he was embarrassed to feel his cheeks heat up. Accepting compliments was not his forte. He wasn’t very used to receiving them. Leo made a face, and looked away. Easier by far to allow himself to get distracted by the sidecar, and the fact that Murad clearly didn’t even like the thing. “Kids fucking love it,” the detective said, and Leo looked him up and down with one eyebrow raised. “But you don’t,” he said, and it was only half a question. “Why do you have it, if you don’t like it?”

Being on a bike again was more nerve-wracking than he remembered. Last time he’d done it, Leo had been seventeen and (so he thought) immortal, riding behind someone on Cartel business, ferrying parcels or on their way to break in somewhere. Now he was with a cop. On a date.

How things changed.

They ended up at a park in Haven, one of those perfect places where the grass was so green and lush that it didn’t even feel real. “Grass,” he replied immediately, smiling at the sight of so much green - something rare enough in the Jacks that this felt special. Leo dismounted, managing to restrain himself from copping a feel as he did so, and smoothed down the hair that his helmet had successfully mussed. He helped Murad lay out the blanket, and sat down with a happy sigh. “This was a nice idea,” Leo murmured when Murad joined him, prickly humour falling away for a moment to reveal something much softer in his smile. “Thanks.”

But such moments never lasted long. “So do you do this for all the boys?” Leo asked, accepting a beer when one was offered to him. His smirk had returned. “Romantic picnic? What’re we gonna do next, kiss in the rain? Go for a walk on the riverbank? Take dancing lessons?”
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 12:17 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad liked the smug grin on the man’s face. Leo was cheerful, sarcastic and just slightly pointy around the edges, but he also didn’t, in Murad’s opinion, take enough honest pride in the things he did. Mind, this also came from someone who very rarely had insecurities himself. But anyways, he was willing to encourage this little show—if he was ever able to actually have the man make him dinner. Which he might not, depending on how today went.

Mm, he might have to think about this. He also noticed how the man blushed, just straight blushed, at the compliment. “C’mon,” he said, leaning in to kiss his cheek. “You’re cute when you blush, too.” He flashed him a grin.

Of course, then Leo was pinning him on the side car. The man could be very observant at times—especially when he noticed Murad was annoyed. He debated what exactly to share, and eventually decided on a sanitized version of the truth. “I had the bike first, but that made me a candidate to pick up the son of someone with some political influence. Got tired of hauling his drunk ass onto the bike and being scared of him letting go and falling off, so I got this.” Sometimes he’d wondered if that indicated caring, or a healthy regard for his own neck. “So yeah, now I have it, and I give rides to kids sometimes. And nah, I really don’t love it.”

This, though, had been the right choice. He liked seeing the light in Leo’s eyes at the grass, and nodded in agreement as he got the stuff out—blanket, sandwiches, bottle opener, beer, and the deserts. He grabbed the keys out of the bike and followed him to the grass, opening a beer for each of them and settling down. The warmth and softness in Leo’s eyes were new to him, and he smiled back, some of the edge that he always wore fading, just a bit. “I’m glad you like it. No need to thank me.”

But then they were back on the same footing. “As I’ve told you,” he said, voice laced with amusement, “there’s not a lot of boys.” He’d finally confessed the full number, still trying to make the man understand that not wanting to sleep with him just then didn’t mean that he didn’t want to sleep with him at all. “I’d be down for kissing in the rain. River’s kinda a mess though. And you don’t like dancing.” As he spoke, he took in the area, each individual person, gauging them for a risk assessment. He thought he spotted someone he recognized, but it was too far away—and then he realized he was neglecting his date, so he turned back to him with a smile. “Anyways, you tell me – would you want to do all those things?”

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 03:10 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts

@Murad Hassan

Cute.

Nobody had ever called Leo “cute” before. It wasn’t an adjective one tended to apply to nervy, wisecracking doctors. He wasn’t sure what struck him more dumb - the use of the word, or the kiss Murad placed on his cheek. Leo wasn’t accustomed to this kind of casual physical contact, the little gestures that Murad seemed so comfortable with. He’d never been with anyone who’d kiss him on the cheek like that. In his experience, kissing was only intended to lead to other things. It didn’t happen just for the sake of it.

He almost ducked away, but managed to stop himself, in the end giving an embarrassed smile and busying himself as much as possible with inspecting the motorbike. “So what, you were like - a bodyguard?” Leo asked, itching to look at the sidecar more closely but fairly sure Murad would be unimpressed if he did. He grinned. “You could just get rid of it, you know…”

Once sat on the blanket, Leo turned his face up to the sun and closed his eyes for a few moments. It felt like spring, warm and sunny with the scent of plants in the air, and he let out a sigh of pure contentment. Should do this more often, he told himself, but he knew he almost certainly wouldn’t, without external prompting. There was always something else to do, clinic business to take care of. Without Murad, he’d probably be knee-deep in paperwork by now. “No need to thank me,” Murad told him, and Leo opened his eyes to look over at the other man with one eyebrow raised. “Dude, it was your idea,” he replied. “Of course I’m thanking you. You’ve saved me from another Saturday of patient referrals.”

He took a sip of beer and lay back, head pillowed on the grass. “Yeah, but - quality over quantity, right?” Leo retorted, when Murad reminded him that he didn’t date all that much. He grinned. “Kissing in the rain’s OK, kissing in the shower is better.” A sly glance from blue eyes before he moved on. “I was gonna say long walks on the beach like they did in the olden days, but considering we don’t have a beach, the river’ll have to do. And you’re right - I hate dancing.” He propped himself up on one elbow so he could drink some more beer. “OK, Mr Romantic, you do better.”

Murad was doing that thing again, the thing were he looked carefully around as if to check for assailants. He’d done it in every bar and restaurant they’d been to. Leo watched him cautiously. “Can I ask?” he murmured, figuring that now was as good a time as any, when Murad was lying in the sun with a beer in his hand. “When we go somewhere new, you’re usually kinda - on edge. Is that a cop thing?”
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 11:23 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad made a mental note—he’d caught the flinch. No casual expressions of intimacy for this man. He seemed embarrassed, which was not the reaction he was hoping for. He never thought he’d be relieved to switch topics to the damn side car. He snorted at bodyguard. “Nah, that gives me more credit than I deserve for it. More like a babysitter of a toddler, to be real. And I can’t get rid of it.” He kicked it with his foot (the sole, so he wouldn’t scuff the tops). “I’m still doing it. So guess I’m just kinda stuck with it.”

It was nice outside, though. That was the one thing he missed from beat work—being outside. He tilted his chin up as Leo settled into the grass, enjoying the sun warming his skin. Maybe he’d even get some of his natural tan back—he’d been pretty sallow-skinned for some time, and it would be nice to have some color again.

Probably not. Crime didn’t exactly let you hang outside and tan, even if you were as vain as Murad was and so more eager to make the time.

“Is that what you do with your Saturdays?” he asked, curious. “Besides, I like your company, so the way I see it, you did me a favor.” He laughed. “And are you saying you’re quality? Guess I can get behind that.” He tilted his head to the side and grinned down at the man. “Maybe.”

“So long as kissing in the shower doesn’t lead to shower sex, ‘cause that’s just fucking awkward.” Yeah, sometimes Murad’s filter went out the window—sorry Leo. He grinned again. “Pun intended. And when did I become Mr. Romantic?” He fetched a blade of grass and twisted it idly around his finger. “Mm, candlelit dinner at home has always been my preference. Or romantic comedies, though I can’t picture you liking those.” He slid him a look. “Or a carnival, for you. I could picture you still liking that. Smooching on the Ferris wheel?”

His perusal done, he settled back on the grass and noticed that Leo was watching him as if he was liable to explode. His brows raised, and then at the question, his mouth twisted. How much to share…well, not that it mattered, in the long run. And he tried to be honest about his mental processes, as much as he could. “Kinda,” he said. “We’re all trained to do that, sure. You come into a place, assess threats, find exits, make a plan, move on.” He shrugged. “But I spent a couple of years on tactics—you know, the team with the full body armor, kinda like SWAT in all those old movies and shows—and then every day your life, and your team’s life, revolves around you getting that shit right.” He shook his head. “Got so used to every situation I got called in for being nasty that I can’t shut it off anymore. So no, not….exactly a cop thing.” He studied him. “Why do you ask?”

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 02:52 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts

@Murad Hassan

“Yeah, sometimes.” Leo shrugged. “It’s just me for now, until I get the money for a second doctor. So I'm the only one doing the paperwork.” Being frequently summoned on Cartel business had the major downside of eating into what for another doctor would be admin time. But Leo never complained. It was enough that the Cartel let him have the clinic at all.

Murad’s comment got a snicker and a raised eyebrow. “Dude. If you think shower sex is awkward, you’ve been doing it wrong.” Leo closed his eyes with the smuggest possible smile. “Clearly, I need to educate you on a few subjects.” He made a show of stretching as luxuriously as he could with a beer in one hand - and if his hoodie rode up to reveal a strip of skin at his navel, he couldn’t in all conscience say it was accidental. “You’re Mr Romantic ‘cause you know way more about all that shit than I do.” He opened his eyes at the mention of candlelit dinner, and smiled. “Hey, I like romantic comedies as much as the next guy, I’ll have you know. And if you like candlelit dinner, it’s lucky you're dating someone who makes good food.” The catlike smile was back on his face.

The idea of a carnival made Leo wrinkle his nose a little. “Nah, thanks,” he replied, shaking his head. “Too loud. Too many people. Too - close, you know?” spending an evening surrounded by bodies on every side, and hearing the screams of people on rides, was not Leo’s idea of a good time.

For a moment, Leo thought Murad wasn’t going to answer his question. But then he did, talking Leo through why he was always on the alert, and Leo nodded slowly as he spoke. “I can't shut it off,” he said. Leo swallowed. “Makes sense,” he replied with a nod. Like a soldier in a movie. Plenty of people in Leo's life had their own kinds of paranoia. At least Murad had shown no signs so far of being the type to get into fights. “No real reason, I just wondered. I noticed it the first day, in the bar. I know a lot of guys who start jumpy and get nasty, so - I wanted to check.” A shrug. “Thanks for telling me.” He glanced around. “If this is too - open, or whatever, we can go somewhere else?”

Leo picked up the box of sandwiches that Murad had given him, and made a noise of appreciation as he bit into one. “Not that I think you're gonna get nasty, by the way.” He gave a rueful grin. “Just had a couple of ‘incidents’ at the clinic, lately. You start noticing when people look nervous.”
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 12:37 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad nodded, thoughtful. “Guess it’s not easy to find a doctor who wants to work at the free clinic in Jacks at that.” And he wondered how much was eaten up by…extra curriculars as well. Although he’d admit, he lived next to the man and he had yet to hear anything suspicious. It was hard to say.

He’d failed to get the upper hand on the man, either, and watched in bemusement as the man smiled smugly and then stretched enough to show some skin, and Murad was pretty damn sure it was intentional. His mouth went dry, and he licked his lips and looked away. “Clearly,” was all he could manage. He wasn’t used to being seduced. Mind, he also wasn’t used to waiting quite this long to have sex with someone—and usually, he was the one pushing. This was…novel. And in some ways, he liked it Leo was very up-front with what he wanted and what would happen when he got it. When he mentioned making dinner, Murad laughed. “You tryin to get me into bed, Leo? If so, you’re not being that subtle.” He leaned in, slow to give Leo a moment to pull back if he wanted, and kissed him again. It was light and lingering, with a hint of promise. But not too much.

After all, they still had to talk.

“Got it, quiet. Boat on the river, then? Camping?” There were still spots in the city where you could camp in relative isolation. “Ever been camping?”

It was a bit…weird to see how seriously Leo was taking this. Usually, people waved it off—a cop like Murad, dealing with paranoia? He watched him out of the corner of his eye, sipping the beer. “You’re pretty observant, doc,” he teased, trying to keep his tone light. “Not much gets past you.” He mostly had it to the point where people didn’t notice what he was doing. “This is fine.” He nodded to the park. “Open space, lots of places to run—not the kinda thing that bothers me. Thanks, though.” He laughed. “And I’ve had some temper issues, early on. But it’s been—over seven years? Went to therapy, got it worked on.” He shrugged, holding the man’s gaze. “Jumpy, yeah, but don’t worry about violence from me, please.”

Not that he hadn’t seen other cops go that way before. It was not…unreasonable.

“Wanna talk about any of that?” he asked. It was toeing the line he’d drawn for himself, but he didn’t like some of the nervousness in the doctor’s eyes. “No one got hurt, did they?” He thought he would’ve noticed if Leo was, but you never knew.

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 02:57 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts

@Murad Hassan

Leo grinned. “Got it in one,” he replied. “Pay’s not up to how much a hospital can give you, and I don’t have the money for an extra doctor at the moment anyway. It’s just me, a nurse, any volunteers and my long-suffering reception staff.” It took a certain kind of temperament to be on the front desk of Leo’s clinic, and once he found someone who could handle it he usually did whatever it took to keep them - including docking his own salary to up the pay of his head receptionist.

Murad’s reaction to his little comment was very gratifying indeed. Leo watched through hooded eyes as the other man appeared flustered, looking away, and kick of something low in his gut at the sight of Murad licking his lips. This was definitely too much fun. Leo thought he may have found a new hobby. “I’m not a very subtle kinda guy,” he replied, smirking. “Ask anyone.” Then Murad leaned in to kiss him and Leo smiled against his mouth, hand reaching up to tug at his collar and bring him closer. This. This, I could get used to. Every time they kissed, it got a little longer, a little more intimate. Leo wasn’t technically in any rush, but he enjoyed it.

His eyes all but lit up at the mention of a boat - now that sounded like something he could get behind. “Ever been camping?” Murad asked, and before Leo could stop himself his mouth ran away with him, tone dry and just a little too cheerful: “Not unless you count five nights in Sanctuary Park when I was sixteen.”

As soon as he’d said it, he regretted it. Leo gave a weak smile. Now it was his turn to look away. “Sorry,” he murmured, taking a bigger swig of beer than was perhaps necessary. “Uh - no. Never been camping.”

Leo gave an easy shrug, waving away Murad’s comment about him being observant. “A year ago I wouldn't have noticed,” he replied. “It's just the clinic. You meet enough people who do that looking-around thing, you start to spot it.” And he was rather close to replying Don't worry, I expect violence from everyone - but after his slip-up with the camping, Leo had the feeling that would go down like a lead balloon.

He finished half a sandwich and lay back again, the blanket warm underneath him. “Just a couple of violent people,” Leo replied with a shrug. Murad was a cop, and also had an interest in his welfare as someone he was dating - it seemed natural to Leo for him to ask. “Drugs make people unpredictable, and we get a lot of junkies. A guy pulled a knife on me two weeks ago. Someone else was waving a gun around last month. I’ve never been badly hurt, but sometimes patients get into fights - two people from rival gangs, or a pair of guys who beat each other up and then both come to the clinic. Then they gotta sit in the waiting room and the fight starts up again.” He sighed. “I refuse treatment if people don’t play by the rules, and I’m pretty good at breaking up a fight, but…” another shrug. “It puts you on edge if someone looks jumpy. Sorry, man.”
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 11:31 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad chuckled. It sounded familiar, and Leo was taking it well. “You do have a good receptionist,” he said, then considered it. “Or you did when I was there. Imagine there’s more than one, with the hours of the clinic.” And with it just being Leo, now that he thought about it. He could’ve pried into the money there, the donations and the funding, but that seemed like a bad idea.

“Don’t need to,” was Murad’s retort as he found his footing again and tried to ignore the pang of want. He flashed the man a grin. “Nothing you’ve done has been subtle yet. I’ll let you know if that changes.” His lips curved up as Leo grabbed his collar and pulled him in closer, and let the kiss go for a bit longer than he would’ve otherwise. When they parted, he had the hazy look in his eyes again.

The boat, though—if they made it out of today, that would definitely happen. He saw the gleam in the man’s eyes. Murad didn’t know much about boats but he knew enough where he could figure it out.

But camping—that was a different matter. Murad tilted his head to study the man. “Runaway?” he asked, then shrugged. “You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to, but you wouldn’t be the first kid from Jacks to do it. Or is there something else?”

He was doing it again—being on duty, asking questions like a cop. He cleared his throat and reached for the sandwich. “Sorry. Not my business if you don’t want it to be. But I’m also happy to talk if you want to.”

Murad put the sandwich away and leaned back next to the man, close enough where their arms were touching and he could feel the heat of his skin through the fabric. “And I thought my day job was dangerous,” he said. “Thought you had security in there, or something?” He would’ve thought the cartel would take better care of their own, but then…maybe not, not if they wanted to avoid calling attention to themselves. He hadn’t pictured Leo, by himself, dealing with the rough people of Jacks. He also noticed the badly hurt too.

“You don’t owe me any apologies for that,” he said. “Way I see it, you’re allowed to be jumpy—around cops, around me, whatever.” He shrugged. “Not like it’s your fault. Wish there was something I could do, though. Didn’t know it was that bad.”

Not that he was going to—there were some lines that you couldn’t cross with partners. And he couldn’t make it better for Leo, not in this case.

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
Leo Dobrowolski
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 04:18 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 4
112 Posts

@Murad Hassan

Murad apologised for asking, and Leo shook his head. “No, it's fine,” he replied, because he was the one who'd opened his big mouth and made things awkward, after all. He took a breath. “Uh. My dad hated the gay thing. And the evo thing, and generally the me thing, but - I'm pretty sure it was the gay thing that made him snap.” Leo sighed, made sure he was still looking down at the grass instead of up at the man sitting next to him. “He kicked me out. So.” A shrug. “I spent about - three weeks? - sleeping out. Before I asked my family for help.” Murad had suspected previously that “family” didn't refer to anyone related by blood, and he was right.

Leo shook his head. “Sob story,” he muttered, as he had in the bar. There was a white scar at his hairline, hardly visible, which he took pains to conceal with his hair. Leo resisted the urge to rub it. “I don't - it's fine.” He busied himself with his sandwich so that he wouldn't have to see Murad’s expression. Many, many people had it worse than he ever had - Leo knew that. The last thing he wanted was to feel like he was whining. “I couldn't go to the shelter ‘cause I was a minor, they would have called social services. The park was better than the street.” He shrugged. He didn't know why he was saying any of this. Maybe his subconscious figured it was better to warn Murad off now. Leo smiled ruefully, and wondered if the effort showed. “I hope you brought more beer, dude. I'm a real downer.”

He could feel the other man’s warmth through their clothing. It was comforting, somehow. Leo grinned, and shook his head. “We have a rule - two people in reception at all times. I thought about getting security guards, but...it didn't feel right, you know? If you treat people like they're gonna kick off, I reckon they're more likely to kick off. We don't have many major incidents compared to the shelter, and they have security.” The Cartel had offered, but Leo hadn't been convinced that thugs hanging around would be any more effective than uniformed guards - and it would certainly make the civilians nervous.

Murad’s offer was oddly touching. Leo smiled. “Thanks, man. But I'm fine, you know? We muddle through. And if I got the cops involved there might be prosecutions, and people would stop trusting me. I've had quite a few guys come back and apologise when they're sober.”

Somehow, Murad still seemed to look perfect. No helmet hair from the ride, not a wrinkle in his clothing. Leo found himself looking over at the detective with a smile. This was...nice. Far nicer than his usual courtships, which mainly involved alcohol and sex. “So we've established that paperwork and getting threatened by junkies is my hobby,” he remarked. “What do you do when you're not detecting?”
PM
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 05:10 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
107 Posts
Lugia is Online

Murad listened to the story, silent and a bit—surprised. He liked Leo quite a bit, but the man had never exactly been the most open. And he was flattered to hear it. It did confirm what he thought, though—Leo had probably been with the cartel since he was young, He’d heard this song and dance before, usually with teenagers who were confessing to crimes they likely hadn’t done. Cartel was all they had, cartel looked after them when no one else did…he understood it, but that didn’t mean he liked the organization any better.

“Glad you had family to go to,” he said, and rested his hand lightly over Leo’s, trying to offer comfort in a way he could. It had been a while ago, so he would guess that the pain had mostly dulled, but some things took a while to recover from. When the man went for the sandwich, Murad moved away and sat up. “Hey, you listened to my sob story,” he pointed out, grabbing another beer and offering it to the man with a smile. “You’re not a downer, you’re sharing. I appreciate it. Besides, I kinda figured you had a rough backstory. Kid from Jacks, bad impression of the cops…” He shrugged. “Doesn’t take a genius to put things together. But rule one is I always bring more beer.”

Murad, reflecting back on the reception when he’d been there, could indeed acknowledge that at least one of the woman had been…impressively intimidating, for a receptionist. “And with the people who come in, you don’t want to scare them off,” he finished, nodding. “But your safety first, right?” He grimaced to himself. “God, now I sound like my mother. Just want you to be safe, that’s all.” Mm, that was getting…awkward. He cleared his throat and sat up to get his sandwich again.

“Couldn’t get cops involved, even if I wanted to,” his voice was rueful. “Aside through the emergency channels. They’re stretched too thin in Jacks as it is.” He shrugged. There were other reasons, too, but he’d leave it at that. “Just, uh, just call if it gets too nasty, okay? I can help in a pinch.”

Had Leo asked why Murad still looked put together, he would’ve explained the amount of hairspray he used, and starch in his clothes. It wasn’t easy to stay looking this put-together. “You asking for my hobbies?” he asked, brows raising. Then he shook his head. “I think work and family might be mine. Look at us, couple of workaholics.” He tilted his head to the side, considering it. “Guess the gym, maybe?” He finished his sandwich and settled down next to him again. “At what point do you look at where you’re at and wonder if you should’ve done something different, do you know?”

@Leo Dobrowolski
PM
^
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black