Ark City
quick links
staff
December 2017 Featured RPG
Ark City
Spring 2167 // March April May

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Midnight City, 1 August, 2159 // Reese Marshall
Omri Kim
 Posted: Sep 10 2017, 06:13 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts
Adoptive Muscle Memory: the power to instantly mimic any physical movement or skill through observation

user posted image
Flashback Asa activate!

It wasn’t often that Asa allowed himself to relax like this. His work required focus and dedication--something towards which lollygagging in bars was hardly conducive. Kenner certainly wouldn’t have approved. But it had been a long week with many a restless night, and so when his old friend Reese Marshall had turned up on his doorstep, utterly determined to drag him out to the nearest bar, he was perhaps not as resistant as he should’ve been.

He now sat at the edge of said bar, nursing a medium dry vodka martini and looking on in quiet amusement as his friend attempted (rather unsuccessfully) to conjure another beer out of the bartender. The woman had apparently cut him off--something she really ought to have done two bottles ago in Asa’s humble opinion--and was not budging on her stance despite his friend’s admirable attempts at persuading her otherwise.

Amusing as it was, however, the evening was getting on a bit. “Reese.” He cut in finally, placing a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Give it up. She’s not going to give you another drink. You’ll just have to resign yourself to a sober fate I’m afraid.” He paused, then smirked. "Well, more or less."
PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Sep 16 2017, 08:52 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts
There are moments that the words don’t reach There is suffering too terrible to name You hold your child as tight as you can And push away the unimaginable The moments when you’re in so deep It feels easier to just swim down

user posted image

~~Pre-Accident Reese~~

Reese didn't lie to his wife. Never had never would. He'd told her that he was going out for drinks with Asa and she'd told him to not do anything stupid as he walked out the door. That was simple enough. Right? Nothing stupid.

Probably, though, nothing stupid would have been a drink or so ago. For even at the moment, explaining, with an incredible amount of eloquence for a sloshed man, that the it was not going to cause her or the bar anything but good was almost impressive. He was less than a year away from finishing law school and it showed. He could talk his way into and out of an incredible amount of things.

It was only when the woman turned to talk to another customer that Reese's attention moved back to his friend. He didn't seem concerned any longer with the 'injustice' being done him by this institution.

He grinned. "You know, Asa," he leaned forward, his hand taking the other man's shoulder for a moment, friendly, persuasive. His smile was beyond charming and his eyes almost seemed to sparkle. "I bet... If you talked to that girl over there. The one with the blue top, you could get her to kiss you by the end of the night. And I know you're not looking for anything serious, but hell, with an outfit like that, neither is she."
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Sep 19 2017, 07:17 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts
Adoptive Muscle Memory: the power to instantly mimic any physical movement or skill through observation

Asa rolled his eyes, in a combination of amusement and irritation that only Reese Marshall seemed to be capable of bringing out in him. “Please.” He groaned, shoving his friend’s hand away even as he allowed his eyes to wander over to the girl in question.

He could hardly deny that she was indeed exquisite. A dazzling young thing with brilliant blue eyes, dark hair, and copper skin, dressed in a blue top with all sorts of interesting straps designed to attract the eye to all sorts of interesting places. He could only reason that the thing was probably a nightmare to get off. But wouldn’t it be ever so interesting to find out?

Asa took a thoughtful sip of his martini, a wolfish smile playing about his lips as he glanced back at his friend. He had to admit, it would be nice to have some fun. “Just a kiss? Come on Reese. At least make it a challenge.”

PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Sep 19 2017, 08:29 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts
There are moments that the words don’t reach There is suffering too terrible to name You hold your child as tight as you can And push away the unimaginable The moments when you’re in so deep It feels easier to just swim down

So far as Reese was concerned, the challenge was getting Asa's stick out of his own ass and into... Vivid metaphor aside, he just wanted this poor idiot to find someone who made him smile. He hadn't known him before his sister had died, but he couldn't imagine that he'd always been like this.

He realized belatedly that he was humming beneath his breath love, love, love, is all you need.

The idea of a challenge piqued his attention though. "Alright." He agreed. "Alright. Kiss, a phone number, set a date -- Hey, also it doesn't count, If she's an Evo, we start again." He added.

The statement might have sounded harsh to a bystander. It might have sounded like Reese was some asshole who didn't think they were worth his time -- even for meaningless sex -- but the truth was, his goal was Asa getting knocked in the head with a cupid's arrow (he was really too drunk for metaphors), and nothing would fuck over a relationship with Asa Park like having some kind of badass super power.

"You game?"
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Sep 24 2017, 05:55 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts

Asa’s smirk broadened as Reese struck the terms--at least right up until the possibility that the girl might be an Evolute was mentioned. His eyes hardened at the prospect. Somehow, the thought hadn’t even occurred to him. How unusual. Typically these things were foremost in his mind. Perhaps Kenner had a point--that Reese’s antics were a distraction. He’d have to make an effort to be more focused...tomorrow.

His gaze shifted over to the girl, suddenly seeing her in an entirely new light. She could be one of them. Shame that there was no easy way to tell, that they could just blend in, pretending to be normal people. It was disgusting--not to mention dangerous. “I’ll try to find out early on.” He promised, mouth twitching upwards again. “No point wasting our time on trash.”

And with that, the game began. Asa swept towards the girl with a martini in one hand, the other tucked into his pocket casual as anything. The girl sat at the bar, nursing some drink or other that she'd clearly lost interest in--at least if the expression on her face each time she took a sip was anything to go by.

“Excuse me.” He announced himself politely as he drew up next to her. “Not to bother you or anything, but I had to warn you..." He nodded towards the glass. "That stuff is awful. Might I recommend something better?"
PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Oct 3 2017, 08:56 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

Reese didn't say anything about it other than nod. He wasn't going to start a fight because he honestly didn't care one way or the other if Asa hated Evos. He wasn't an activist, and he wasn't playing one on TV. "Yeah, obviously." he gave him a thud on the back before he marched over.

The girl glanced up at Asa. "Awful? That's pretty forward." she laughed, but her attention seemed piqued regardless. Her bright, tawny eyes watching him with interested as the little crooked smirk graced her face. "Alright, I'll hear it." she conceded, raising a thin brow. "What do you think I should be having?"

Reese sauntered over closer to make sure that Asa didn't do anything to get them kicked out of a bar. (Also, he really wasn't sure what Asa would do if this girl was an evolute, and he didn't want anyone getting hurt. So yeah... this was a wing-man and bouncer kind of gig, and hell if he wasn't trashed enough that it seemed like a great idea.
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 09:16 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts

Asa could feel Reese’s eyes on him, but he did his level best to ignore his audience, focusing all of his attention on the matter at hand. His mouth quirked upwards at her response, and he glanced over to the bartender and gave him a nod. It probably something about him--or at least about Reese, since he was only ever here in the other man’s company--that Asa was enough of a regular that the bartender knew his drink by heart and that a simple nod was all it took.

While the drink was being prepared, Asa took the opportunity to take a seat next to the girl, leaning in towards her with a pleasant smile. “Well, it depends on where you go. And who you know. Every bartender in this city has their specialty. Take Peter, for instance.” He nodded towards the bartender, who smiled in return as he hand the glass to Asa, who slipped him a generous tip in return before holding the glass up, almost reverently. “Peter here makes the best martini in Ark.” He offered it out to her with a charming little grin.“What do you say? Give it a go?”

@Reese Marshall
PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Oct 14 2017, 06:06 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

From the sidelines, Reese was doing his damnest not to ruin anything, but boy did he bark out a laugh and then stifle it when Asa held out the martini. He turned to the woman next to him, when the girl who Asa was trying to woo glanced over.

Her eyes moved back to Asa in front of her, handsome and debonair, and she took the drink, raising a thin brow as she leaned against the counter, raising it to her lips, pausing before she took a drink. "They always say never to take a drink from a stranger. So what's your name, Mr. Knows-the-bartender's-specialty?" And then her ruby-red lips touched the glass and she took a sip, eyes lighting up a little when she tasted it.

"Oh! You weren't kidding. That is good."

@Omri Kim
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Oct 20 2017, 04:25 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts

For his part, Asa was doing his level best to pretend not to have noticed Reese at all. He wouldn’t put it past the man to try and mess up the game--especially if it was going well. That simply wouldn’t do. A challenge had been issued, he was going to give it his all. He was not the sort to do things halfway.

His lips quirked into a satisfied grin as he watched the expression on her face transform from cautious skepticism to surprised delight. “Told you. Best martini in the city. You can thank me later.” He teased, waving a dismissive hand and chuckling when she fished for his name. “Nothing quite so hyphenated I assure you. Asa.” He offered out his hand. “Asa Park. Pleasure to meet you miss…?” He trailed off with a question.

PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Oct 25 2017, 09:39 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

"Beth." The girl answered, taking his hand and glancing over when she heard a laugh again, uproarous. She glanced over at Reese who was moving towards them. Apparently something was incredibly funny and when he got to Asa he set his hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, Ase," he was still giggling because the irony had not been lost on him. God they both really knew how to pick them. "I'm Reese. Reese Marshall." he held out his hand to the girl who was looking at him like he was an idiot and glancing at Asa like he might be able to explain why in the world he'd hang around this kind of a man.

"Pleasure." She offered, raising the glass to her lips. "You two are friends?" She seemed to be hoping the answer was no as she looked at Asa.
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Nov 26 2017, 06:11 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts

Asa’s eyes flashed with irritation as Reese introduced himself to Beth in his oafish way, but the expression was immediately buried beneath a veneer of effortless amusement. Nothing would kill the mood more quickly than anger. Clearly Reese was endeavoring to make this little game of theirs interesting. Well, let it never be said that Asa Park turned down a challenge.

“Mm.”
Asa glanced towards Reese, head seesawing back and forth without so much as a hint of self-consciousness as he considered Beth’s question. “Honestly? I’m not sure.” He glanced back towards the girl with a tiny little smirk. “Sort of depends on the day. And how sober he is.” he turned back to his friend. “Reese! Lovely as it is to see you, the lady and I were rather in the middle of a conversation. Don’t suppose you’d care to leave us to it?”

PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Nov 26 2017, 11:09 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

Reese was still all smiles. "The less sober I am the better we get along -- same with him. He's got a stick up his ass that could touch Paris." He offered. "Break through the fucking dome and everything." he mocked.

Obviously trying to keep herself from judging this man based on his friends, she blushed slightly when Asa tried to excuse Reese quickly and offhandedly. When Reese didn't go anywhere, she said: "Asa, weren't you going to get me another drink? A martini?"

"Did you check her ID? Make sure she's over 18?" Reese prodded. He was waiting for Asa to put together that the girl was a T1 Evo, and watch him freak out, but he also kind of wanted him to kiss her first. (His dedication to love had fallen away at the shear perfection of the choice he had made.)

@Omri Kim
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Jan 1 2018, 07:49 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts

“I don’t generally make a habit of asking for identification before offering a lady a drink, no.” Asa replied coolly. “Although, if that’s been your approach this entire time, it would explain rather a lot about your success rate. Or lack thereof.”

“Beth, please allow me to apologize for my erstwhile friend here.” Asa turned back to the girl, shaking his head with an expression of apologetic indulgence. “I’m beginning to suspect that his fun started several hours before mine. Please ignore him. Peter--another martini for the lady please?”

While the bartender went about his work, Asa tried to steer the conversation off in another direction before Reese could hijack it any further. “So, what do you do Beth?”

PM
^
Reese Marshall
 Posted: Jan 2 2018, 02:44 PM
Typic
39 YEARS
Citizen
Typic
533 Posts

Reese was giggling up a storm at this point and if he'd picked up some stranger's beer while they weren't looking and declared it his own, the risks he was taking was a cold sore, mono, or getting ruffied, none of which (in his current state) he considered more important than another round.

Beth chuckled. "I have a friend like him, too." She offered, making it clear that while Reese was being utterly inappropriate, she wasn't letting Asa's drunken friend reflect badly on himself. "I work at the DEA." She answered, "How about you, Asa?"

At this point, there was no stopping the laughter and Reese had to actually sit down to stop from falling over. "DEA? That's pretty fucking hot." He seemed to (very belatedly) realize that a wise crack had been made about his ability to pick up women and so he turned to someone who wasn't even in the conversation to explain to them how he had been married (or close enough, really) for the last, like, decade, and Asa was "totally stupid."

The random guy at the bar forced a very faked smile and nodded, turning away to get Reese to stop talking to him.

@Omri Kim
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Jan 20 2018, 08:11 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
119 Posts

Now that the Reese problem had been taken care of--at least for the next minute or two--Asa was relieved to finally be able to concentrate on the task at hand: getting as much information out of this woman as was possible within the confines a ten-minute conversation at a bar.

“The DEA?” His brow rose in surprise. Almost as if he didn’t already have any number of connections to the place. DEA meant that she was either a very useful friend...or one of the more dangerous things that worked under the Department’s watchful eye. Again, it irked him that it wasn’t possible to tell outright. But then, that would’ve made this game far too easy.

He wanted to do a bit more prodding, but to his annoyance she quickly turned the subject back onto him. What do you do? It was an odd question to answer. “Oh, whatever I want really.” He answered glibly before taking a sip of his drink and attempting a serious answer.

“Please let me preface this answer by admitting that it will inevitably make me sound like a complete ass, but I promise I try my best not to be.” He grinned. “My parents run a small art dealing company.” Understatement. “I’m preparing to take it over. Although I’ve dabbled in other areas. Academics and such.” His smile had become almost self-mocking. “There was even a time I thought I wanted to be a concert pianist, if you can believe it.”

“But enough about that. Come on Beth.” He grinned teasingly. “You can’t just name-drop a place like DEA and not tell me more. That must be an exciting life.”

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV A marvel infinity war rp Marvel Heroes RPG GLITTER & GOLD

Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black
Miniprofile by charli and code box by thunderstuck
Cbox emoticons by cookiemagiK