Add Reply

Gangsters on Ice, Tag: Vels Kruger
Omri Kim
 Posted: Jan 20 2018, 08:40 AM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Tier 3
100 Posts
Adoptive Muscle Memory: the power to instantly mimic any physical movement or skill through observation

@Vels Kruger

Jan 4, 2167

Since accepting his current position (although he couldn’t really remember accepting anything so much as it just happening) Omri had been asked to do any number of strange tasks for his employer. Driving, running odd errands at odd hours, not to mention the occasional bit of kidnapping on behalf of the Cartel. But this was by far one of Vels' strangest requests yet.

“Come on, boss.” Omri sighed as he watched Vels struggling with his skates. “This really isn’t that difficult.”

Of course, he could easily say that when his ability allowed him to learn any physical skill almost instantly. He himself had only learned how to do this properly about two minutes ago, watching the other skaters at the rink. But even so--this was simply standing still on ice skates. Couldn’t possibly be that hard.

“Want me to get you a chair to slide with?” He offered helpfully, hoping, but not really caring, whether or not Vels noticed the mocking little grin tugging at the corner of his mouth.
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Jan 24 2018, 02:45 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
85 Posts
Focused in soundwaves creation and manipulation, Vels can make sounds loud enough to break glass or even bones, or he can make perfect silence. He can hear every conversation in the city at every moment of every day (but he's gotten damn good at finding the ones that matter). His suppressants push his abilities down to a 100 yard diameter, so ... that's better, right?

Vels didn't really do a lot of things for himself. He had a bad habit of throwing himself into other people's problems -- their lives and wants and wishes. He blamed it on being raised a Malachite, but it was probably better blamed on the way that he liked to be aware of everything.

His power was in that way as much a curse as it was a blessing.

Regardless, this wasn't something that Peter had asked him to do. It wasn't something that his contact at the DEA requested. It wasn't even something that his childhood friend had bugged him about.

Nope.

Okay, well. Maybe it was. Maybe it was something that he was convinced his girlfriend (he was pretty sure that they had made that official at some point. Dates made the title 'girlfriend' appear from nowhere, right?) Vels was sure that it applied. Anyway, that his girlfriend wanted.

He'd been watching Christmas movies and then Valentine's day movies and the one thing they all had in common (other than fornication, which he found abhorrent) was grand gestures of romance. Vels did them often. He may-or-may-not have been in negotiations for a small house in Evesdown that would work as a starter house; he was definitely in posession of a ring; he'd put in a word with a breeder of her favorite kind of pet.

But ice skating seemed to pop up as one of the most romantic activities and so here he was. With Omri, whose task it was to teach him how in Malachi's name to skate.

His legs were wobbly under his feet, but his ears still worked and his eyes were just as piercing as they always were. "No, no, no." He said it like it was one word. "You're cheating." He had finally managed to balance and his hands went out quickly to steady himself via Omri's arms.

"Alright, let's get on the ice." His mind, as it usually was, was a whirlwind. "Ice skating was invented in Russia, right?" he asked without pausing, he added. "There's a lot of ice there." As if he'd been outside the Dome ever in his life.

In passing he added, "If you let me fall, I'm setting you up on a date with Larissa." He apparently thought this was a punishment; the only times he'd ever seen Omri interact with her, he had seemed scared.

@Omri Kim
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Jan 27 2018, 06:34 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Tier 3
100 Posts
Adoptive Muscle Memory: the power to instantly mimic any physical movement or skill through observation

Vels needn’t have feared. Even as his boss stumbled into him, Omri stood tall and steady, like a particularly reliable tree. “You know I can’t help that.” He put in, sounding slightly injured--or he might’ve done if not for the extremely amused grin that stretched across his features. “That’s sort of why you pay me. That said, I’ll ask again. Are you quite sure this is how you want to spend your afternoon?”

But his boss wasn’t one to be deterred. Except by self-created distractions of course. “Finland actually.” He corrected. “They made the blade from animal bone. Although one might argue that it wasn’t technically skating--it’s quite fascinating really.”

Omri grimaced at the threat, but probably not for the reasons Vels was thinking. He hadn’t seen much of Larissa since the incident at the gym. The same incident that he hadn’t really gotten around to mentioning to Vels--though he wouldn’t have been surprised if he already knew all about it. His boss was tricky like that. It wasn’t that he was avoiding Larissa, per se. It simply wasn’t a subject he wanted to revisit. “Heaven forfend.” He shook his head. “Anyway, first we need to work on your posture. It’s not that difficult. Skates shoulder-width apart. Knees bent. Chest up. Shoulders square.”

@Vels Kruger

PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Jan 28 2018, 09:53 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
85 Posts
Focused in soundwaves creation and manipulation, Vels can make sounds loud enough to break glass or even bones, or he can make perfect silence. He can hear every conversation in the city at every moment of every day (but he's gotten damn good at finding the ones that matter). His suppressants push his abilities down to a 100 yard diameter, so ... that's better, right?

Vels wrinkled his nose. The answer was, of course, 'no'. He did not particularly want to spend his day doing this, but love was about making sacrifices. He would sacrifice this afternoon (Omri would survive his company, he was sure), and it would all be worth it when he saw the smile on Pix's face.

"When you meet someone like my girl, Omri. You'll spend your afternoon -- well, I guess you'll spend a few minutes here or there figuring out how to do something and then do it. It's much less romantic that way. Maybe you could pick flowers--"

He'd distracted himself, so the explanation of the true facts about ice skating were lost to the wind and Russia still garnered the prize for making the most romantic activity save for walking down a beach at sunset. (That was another thing people did a lot in movies. Also, ride horses.)

He was somewhere in the middle of describing what sounded like something between self-torment and overbearing signs of insanity directed at another person when Omri started to critique his stance and he focused long enough to hear him. He set himself up the way that Omri suggested, though not entirely gracefully, still keeping a firm grip on his friend's arms. He almost lost his footing again, but managed to keep his legs under him. Then he said: "Larissa really isn't so bad as long as she doesn't stab you. And she's pretty, right?" His naive view of love and attraction meant that he acknowledged no woman beautiful for himself or in any way mentioned that he was attracted to them since he had someone he was fawning over. "Why don't you like her?" As if he hadn't literally just been using her as a threat.

@Omri Kim
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 08:41 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Tier 3
100 Posts

It was important to note that Omri thought the world of Vels. The man was not only his employer, but far and away his best friend, and Omri would do very nearly anything he asked without even a moment’s hesitation. All of that said, even he had to admit that the man’s idea of love seemed to alternate between martyrdom and lavishing unhealthy levels of attention that bordered on outright stalking.

Then again, perhaps that wasn’t so far off.

“Yeah...you see, it’s that pesky stabbing part.” He replied with mock regret. “I just can’t seem to get past that for some reason.” He grinned, holding steady as Vels wobbled ungracefully. “And I never said I didn’t like her.” Fact was he owed Larissa. He even thought they might be leaning towards something resembling friendship which, for him, was no small feat. However… “My life’s just a bit complicated as is.” He pointed out. “Anyway, we’re not here to talk about me.”

He eyed Vels’ form again. Improving, but still wobbly. “So..does Pix know you can’t stand up straight on a pair of skates to save your life? Or is this a secret?”

PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 08:25 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
85 Posts

Perhaps somewhere mixed into his naivete that allowed him to just linger in a super of affection without making reasonable steps towards dating or even marriage in the course of fifteen years, was the reason that he didn't understand the complexities of what Omri was talking about.

How was this complicated? If Omri loved someone then he should have her (so long as she wanted him back too). That part was what was the most confusing for Vels, though he was fortunate enough that he hadn't lived through a form of unrequited love (or at least hadn't realized it through his obsession.)

"It's a secret -- well, it won't be a secret soon. I'll tell her. Maybe." He hedged, almost lost his balance, and the vice grip on Omri's arms tightened. "Dome above." He breathed. "I think she'd like it -- don't you? If someone learned to skate for you, you'd like it, right? It would be nice?" He added without a pause, "I actually started reading this book called Landing the Fish. I picked it up because I was going to take Pix out to the pier and hire a boat -- and it seemed like I was going to 'help myself,' but it's not about fishing. Which doesn't make any sense. It's about how to take girls on dates."

@Omri Kim
PMEmail
^
Omri Kim
 Posted: Mar 6 2018, 07:29 PM
Evolute
32 YEARS
Tier 3
100 Posts

“I see.” Omri’s amusement was evident in his voice and was fast working its way into his smile despite his best efforts to keeping it from his face. “So let me see if I’ve got this right. You were trying to study up for a possible romantic evening only to find yourself with a book on dating advice? And you didn’t find this the least bit helpful?”

Perhaps some people might find it strange that Omri could take such liberties with his employer--especially given the fact that Vels was one of the most dangerous men in the city. But Omri knew him well enough to know the wouldn’t be terribly offended by his teasing. Hell, there was a fifty-fifty chance he wouldn’t even notice.

“Alright, enough stalling. Let’s try a little gliding. You just push forward with one foot, balance on the other.” He demonstrated, lifting one skate off of the ice as though it were the easiest thing in the world. “Oh, and you only get one arm.” He warned, even as he reached out to pry away one of Vels’ hands. Call him a rough teacher, but he was a believer in learning by doing. His own added advantage of being able to “do” more or less instantaneously was really neither here nor there. “I hear it helps if you think of it like riding a scooter, though I can’t really say. Don’t think I’ve ever ridden a scooter.”
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 09:43 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
85 Posts

Vels' eyes narrowed as he considered that this might have been some spark of fate that was tossed his way by some deities that lived in books, then he decided that was silly. The book about fishing had taught him very little about fishing -- and he knew enough about having a girlfriend, he was pretty sure. After all, he had Pix and they were going to be married before the year was out, he was sure.

He raised a brow. It was interesting to watch and no one would have been able to notice except for Vels himself, but the word silenced around him as he focused his attention on his friend and how in the world he wasn't going to face plant. "Riding a scooter?" he repeated. He had never ridden one either. Scooters were not in the list of sanctioned items that the Vels' sect had supported in childhood play.

Blue eyes flashed towards one of the other people on the ice and he tried to mimic the motions, fumbled, and the vice grip on Omri's arm tightened further as he tried again. "Scooters are a toy right? Like a bike?" he clarified, "Like a motocycle? Oh! Didn't -- Did you meet Frank before he got shot? He had this little red something that he liked to call a 'bike' but it wasn't a bike, and it wasn't a motocycle, and I don't know if it was a scooter, but he didn't have to wear a helmet, which didn't make any sense." He shrugged. Maybe if he'd worn one, he'd still be around to brag about the undefined vehicle.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black
Miniprofile by charli and code box by thunderstuck
Cbox emoticons by cookiemagiK