They Even Caught Me On Camera (It Wasn't Me), 17 May 2167 | @Murad
Vels Kruger
 Posted: May 25 2018, 06:01 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
110 Posts
Focused in soundwaves creation and manipulation, Vels can make sounds loud enough to break glass or even bones, or he can make perfect silence. He can hear every conversation in the city at every moment of every day (but he's gotten damn good at finding the ones that matter). His suppressants push his abilities down to a 100 yard diameter, so ... that's better, right?

Vels couldn't barely remember a time in his life that he wasn't on Suppressant, but this didn't feel like it ever had before. His head was spinning and his stomach wouldn't settle. He was barely conscious, and he knew it was because the woman in the next room was keeping him this way.

Operatives by-in-large traveled in pairs, and these two were no different. The Typic was speaking to the Chief and Murad as his partner stood silent at his side. Some equated Typic and Evolute teams to a police officer and his attack dog, though the stereotype rarely held up in practice. "We're getting a cell set up for him, but until then he's yours." He glanced through the one-way mirror into the interrogation room where Vels sat sedated by a heavy mixture of suppressant and one of the mental manipulators who graced the DEA's arsenal. "He'll be able to hear everything in the building." The Typic continued. He hoped they had read the file, but it was dangerous to assume competency when there was so high a chance that secrets could be spilled. He made a motion towards the woman as he spoke, "What the doctor gave him should keep him from being able to kill anyone, but it won't dampen his ability to hear. So keep quiet. Write things down instead of saying them if its even slightly sensitive. And--"

"Don't piss him off." The Evolute finally spoke. He matched the stereotype from his full beard to his dark, round eyes, short stature, and heavy frame. He looked like a bull dog and a trash compactor had been combined in some tragic way to create a human being. One would wonder what ability he possessed, perhaps, for the ID he'd held up beside his partner's was not informative in any way except for a subtle difference in color if someone dared to look long enough at either badge to identify which was which. Otherwise, the suited pair was just that -- a pair of government operatives doing what they did best: keeping everything in line.

The Typic chuckled and shook his head, holding out his hand towards the Chief and then towards Murad. The Evolute did the same.

The woman lingered, silent. She was in her late sixties, but time had been kind to her. Her back bend over only the tiniest fraction. Where some grew heavy with age, she had grown brittle. Her eyes were trained on Vels. "He doesn't think he's done anything wrong." Her statement was not reading the mind, but reading the features of a man who was rattling the chains of his cuffs and tapping them in time to what seemed to be a rhythmic jazz that he was composing.

"We wish you the best." The Typic said again. And then they were gone, and the APD was left with a T1 in their interrogation room.

-----
Time passed with Vels' state of mind foggy. He didn't know what was the suppressant and what was this overwhelming feeling of calm, but as it faded -- whether it was minutes or hours or days, he didn't know. All that he knew was that he was sitting alone in a room. He'd been listening to everything. Every word in the building; every secret love affair's stolen kisses and whispers (and there were far too many for such an esteemed profession); every call home that announced his presence as if he were the beast of the ball.

As Vels' mind came back to him, he tried to get up, but found that his wrists were cuffed (which surprised him despite how much he'd been playing with them to make the soft percussion he'd needed). He tugged on them for a moment like he didn't realize they weren't toys that would come undone with a second's frustration. A frown found its way onto his face as it had when Murad had walked to his door. For a moment he looked angry and then he started to giggle. It wasn't the dangerous giggle of a man who was going to kill someone, but the giggle of a seven year old who had a secret that they would reveal if given forty seconds or asked the question what's so funny?

Forty seconds of course came first. His eyes focused through the mirror at the officers lingering on the other side. "You can uncuff me." he offered. "I don't need my hands see?" His hands pressed flat against the table. The sounds in the building washed the way that it had when Murad had been around him before, but it was less precise. It was like he was using a soup bowl to throw water on someone's face instead of a bucket. He still had powers, impressive and dangerous powers -- but dampened. The movement stopped as he held his hands up, and then started again. "See? Cuffs don't do anything. Actually!" He chimed. "Maybe I can pick it. That would be cool, right? If I could pick a lock? I bet I can. I can cut pens in half! And make them float. You should see it." he babbled before he started to whistle--a piercing noise which permeated the entirety of the precinct--and he didn't stop.

@Murad Hassan | Hopefully this starter's alright! I figure maybe someone finally gets infuriated by Vels whistling and sends someone in to shut him up/ask him questions now that he's lucid? -- Also we can migrate the date forward or back as you see fit; that's why I made the time kind of wobbly.
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: May 31 2018, 10:53 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
242 Posts
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This wasn’t Murad’s first rodeo. But it was his first time dealing with a T1. As such, he’d decided to play everything safe. He’d read the file before he went to pick him up. He had wanted the DEA team to stick around but had accepted silently when they hadn’t. “There’s not exactly going to be a lot of secrets,” he said. “It’s a very public murder case, not some kind of top-secret mission. But your point is taken, thank you.” He’d shaken their hands, then turned to look at the woman. To her, he just nodded. Nothing he could do here.

--

He didn’t go in immediately. That had always been part of the game—let them sit, mull it over, chew on it just a little bit. He did his paperwork. He walked into the room to stare through the mirror a couple of times, then back out. He remembered that Vels could hear everything in the building, so he had them all use instant messaging. He didn’t even flinch as the sound washed over the building, letting the sergeants and lieutenants do the frantic hand waving to calm down the room of suddenly jumpy cops as he continued with his paperwork.

And then there was a whistling. Murad fetched his earbuds and did his best to ignore it. He was doing quite well until someone tapped on his shoulder. He twisted to see his lieutenant standing over his shoulder. There was a look of strain on his face.

“Make. It. Stop.”

They still weren’t exactly on good terms, so Murad couldn’t tell him to stuff it, friendly or not. But he suspected that in this case, Vels had won. Round one, the double-agent. Round two—yet to be seen.

So Murad gathered up his paperwork and made his way into the room. He would do the first one on his own, just in case they wanted to do good-cop-bad-cop.

“Hi Vels,” he said, voice even as he settled down across from the man. “Mind stopping the whistling? You’re scaring the rookies. Need anything? Water, whatever?” There weren’t a lot of things, but since putting the man on edge hadn’t worked, might as well try putting him at his ease.

@Vels Kruger
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Jun 12 2018, 09:54 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
110 Posts
Focused in soundwaves creation and manipulation, Vels can make sounds loud enough to break glass or even bones, or he can make perfect silence. He can hear every conversation in the city at every moment of every day (but he's gotten damn good at finding the ones that matter). His suppressants push his abilities down to a 100 yard diameter, so ... that's better, right?

The whistling continued while Murad opened the door; it continued while Murad started speaking; it continued until the last syllable was uttered in the request and then it stopped. Vels, who had been staring intently at his cuffs, which he was painstakingly trying to pick, stopped.

His eyes moved from where they were focused on the handcuffs to the police officer. In some way, the nonchalance that he still seemed to have was just as eerie as it had been when he'd been standing in the night club or assuring everyone that he wasn't really being arrested a few days prior. He smiled, because none of this made any sense.

Vels was a hero. Heroes didn't get arrested. That didn't make sense. That wasn't how the world worked.

He tried to stand and then remembered he was cuffed and wiggled his arms. "Hi, Murad!" he chimed as if he weren't in a police station interrogation room; as if he were not one the opposite side of the cage than he usually was. He was an interrogator, though his reputation did not proceed him in this instance.

"Sorry sorry sorry. I didn't mean to scare anyone. I'm just trying to get this new trick. See." he started whistling again, and stopped almost immediately. "I'm not whistling. I remember." he said as if the two of them had an inside joke that he was teasing about. He pointed at him, eyes gleaming.

"I don't need water -- no, well, I'd just like to get out of these cuffs. I promise I won't go anywhere. And they don't do anything." He closed his eyes. "But I have a really bad head ache. I can't do anything right right now." he said with frustration. "It's like -- have you ever tried talking to a girl and you try to say that you think she's pretty, but instead you buy her six dozen roses?"

Vels had. The metaphor didn't make sense.

He was still drugged up. That was clear enough. "I just want to go home." he said. "I didn't kill that guy. I mean... There's rules." To what, it wasn't clear. Homicide? Ark City? The Cartel? "Anyway--"

He closed his eyes. "It's so loud." he whined despite the relative quiet in the interrogation room. The building went that eerie silent as he muted the sounds and then like a wall made out of water it washed back out. "I think they gave me too much suppressant." he said with an honest, innocent confusion as if he didn't understand that when someone died and your face was on the recording, your inalienable rights were somewhat more alien.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Jun 15 2018, 11:02 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
242 Posts

Yeah, Murad didn’t like how this was going. He noticed as the man was staring vacantly, trying to pick the cuffs, and then the gaze focused on him. Murad tilted his chin up—an old nervous habit that he could not always check—but did not otherwise react as the man smiled, tried to stand up, and chimed his name.

The captain and lieutenant had, of course, wanted an explanation of why he knew Vels. Tried to pick him up at a bar had not gone over particularly well, but Murad had remained steady. And, unlike some others in the precinct, he had two things going for him. One—he was an evolute himself, even if just a carrier. And for the other, he wasn’t scared by Vels.

Or at least, didn’t indicate that he was scared of Vels. The actual story was a little more complicated than that.

“What’s the new trick, Vels?” he asked, as if indulging one of his younger cousins. “And you can tell me without trying to demonstrate, please.” Vels, he was beginning to realize, was chatty. Murad could work with that, even if something about the man set him ever-so-slightly on edge. He wondered if Vels could hear the hairs on his neck raising. Hopefully not.

“No,” he said to Vels’s question. “Tried it for a guy once. Didn’t go as well as you’d think.” Men didn’t react well to flowers all the time. Especially when they were straight and the one offering them was another guy. But he’d been young and stupid at the time, and the bruises had eventually healed.

He was babbling again, and clearly out of it. Murad tilted his head to the side, crossing one leg over the other as he watched the man. “What rules, Vels? Cartel rules, or DEA? That’s a lot of hats you’re wearing these days. Do you know that reference?”

He was inclined to think that they had given him too much suppressant, but considering what Vels could do when on the suppressant, he didn’t want to see it without.

“Vels, did you know the judge?” he asked instead, leaning forward. “Maybe ran into him while on your Cartel business? And do you know a Tommy?”

@Vels Kruger
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Jun 24 2018, 08:29 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
110 Posts

Vels glanced over. "I'm going to learn how to pick locks." he answered with a chirp of excitement. His lips formed into a circle as if he were going to demonstrate when Murad requested he not do so. And his mouth settled back into the grin that it rested in generally with wild eyes lingering on Murad.

In truth, Vels had only ever been obsessed (love was something that he didn't comprehend entirely) with one person. He'd been lucky that his affections had always been appreciated -- in fact, both she and the world were likely lucky as well. Vels was not stable on a general day -- light, cheerful and happy -- one could only imagine the level of stability that would be in question should his mood decline substantially. (It had been, in fact, at the direction of his DEA partner that he had been so heavily suppressed.)

Vels frowned from ear to ear. The sound washed again, muted gently like a soundtrack warning of the oncoming battle. His eyes focused. The smile didn't come back this time. The sound stayed subdued, though it was not nearly as controlled as it usually was. There were moments when a full-force wave got through, a blip of sound from somewhere else -- a scream of tires from the street, a voice that shouldn't have been able to be heard in this room, the soft hum of the furnace in the basement. "I own a lot of hats." he answered. There was no chime in his voice for a moment, nothing light and chipper to even out the ever-present knowledge that Vels Kruger was the kind of monster that CLAP had been created for.

And then, as if the intensity, the stare, the humming danger had been a game, the noise normalized, Vels grinned, a laugh erupted from his throat and he tugged on his hand-cuffs again. "Doesn't everyone know someone named Tommy? You know, I think -- Oh! We could take a survey!" he suggested. "And ask everyone if they know a Tommy, and if you don't, we arrest them because they're obviously lying." he said, assured. "But I don't know JuanWen. Didn't I tell you that already? When you visited?" (He meant when he'd been arrested.)

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Jun 29 2018, 11:02 AM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
242 Posts

“By whistling? Once again, you don’t need to show me.” He’d read the dossier on Vels’s powers—the man probably could, if he wanted to. Not right now, but Murad made a note for the department to see if they could get something out of the DEA that would be harder for Vels to deal with. He’d get pushback, he knew. High level evolutes usually didn’t stay this long in APD custody. The only reason he was here now was because A: Vels had used a gun to kill the judge and B: the fact that it was a judge made it personal to the APD.

“Not quite what I meant, Vels.” His skin was doing its best to crawl his way off his body, but Murad focused on slow, steady breaths—in and out, even, long. He was not a rookie, he could handle this. It was not his first encounter with evolutes in the field. He remembered one time where the evolute had seemed to have the power to temporarily blind those around him. Murad hadn’t been impacted, but a fellow officer had gone down next to him, screaming. But you could work without hearing, or with weird audible distractions. He’d been trained to. Hell, he’d been deafened by bomb blasts or close gunfire and still done his job. He could do it now. And as for the focus in his eyes—well, Murad had no concern there, and matched it stare for stare.

“The story goes,” he continued, keeping his even, tone light, “that a man who tries to wear two hats finds he doesn’t have two heads. Bit of a stupid story, but the point is that you’ve been trying, haven’t you? Working for the DEA, but sounds like you’ve also been a bit of a loose cannon with the Cartel. Did they tell you to kill the judge?”

But the moment was gone, and Murad sat back, mouth tightening in exasperation as his fingers drummed a beat on the table. He checked the gesture as soon as he realized—it was a nervous habit that wouldn’t do here. “You did,” he said. “But once again, you don’t need to know someone to kill him. Where’s the gun, Vels? We found one in your apartment, but where’s the one you used to kill Judge Juan Wen?”

@Vels Kruger
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Jul 7 2018, 09:11 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
110 Posts

Vels liked Murad. It was perhaps a strange feeling for a man to feel about someone who had hit on him at a bar the first time they met, arrested him their second meeting, and interrogated him their third, but Vels was used to a similar sequence (minus the buying drinks).

Blue eyes focused on Murad as he spoke. He didn't understand what Murad had meant. Figurative language generally threw him off. Even with almost fifteen years out from the shadow of the sect, he missed things. Although he had never spoken another language, it was, perhaps, somewhat similar to a person from another culture who had learned another language.

Hats were something you wore on your head. Vels owned six in total, which was a lot -- given that he had one head, and there were only special occasions that he could wear them. Most hats didn't go with suits -- at least, that was what the magazines that he had read said, even though he thought people looked fine.

What would he know?

He looked away, jumping slightly as if a loud noise had drawn his attention. A frown wrapped around his face again, and he didn't look over at Murad as he spoke. But he listened. (He was listening to everything.)

"Shhhh." Vels hushed him. "Shhhh." He pulled at the chains. "Stop saying I killed someone. I don't do that." People died, sometimes. His friends that he played games with and talked to. He didn't know why -- they just ... died, sometimes. But his frown deepened. Finally he looked back. He was still tugging at his cuffs. "I didn't shoot him. I don't like guns. We talked about this, didn't we?"

He looked around. "I'm bored. I want to leave." he said simply, as if it was an easy request that Murad would hear, nod, and release him. "This isn't fun." He flicked the table; it rang quietly and the windows started to crack as if they had been hit. "Everything's so loud. Maybe ear plugs. Could you get me ear plugs? Or a tuba player. That'd be good. Tuba's nice. Soothing. It'd be good to calm down all the bad guys in here." Vels wasn't a bad guy; it was clear from his intonation.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
Murad Hassan
 Posted: Jul 10 2018, 11:06 PM
Evolute
36 YEARS
APD
Carrier
242 Posts

The man didn’t understand him—Murad could see that, watching the man looking completely blank even as he tried to explain it. Got it, direct was gonna have to be his way to go. He didn’t see another option. Vels didn’t strike him as the kind of guy who knew how to lie. Or, it wasn’t so much that he wouldn’t know how to lie—it was more that he wouldn’t view what he said was a lie. Murad would have to play it carefully if he was gonna get anything out of this man.

“Bullshit Vels, we both know you do.” He studied him, then fetched his tablet and found one of the pages of Vels’s file. The DEA had contained very specific information, including some pictures. He hadn’t liked to see them, but it was part of his job. “The DEA has a lot of information on you. And if you don’t like guns, why’d you keep yours? And where’d you put the one that you used to kill the judge?”

He was like one of his five year old cousins—impatient, twitchy, anxious to leave and impossible to get to focus. But Murad could be extremely patient, which was part of the reason he had this job. “It’s not gonna be fun, Vels, but it is what we need to do now. And yeah, I could get you earplugs. Tuba player, not gonna happen. But if I’m gonna ask for that, I’ll need you to answer a couple more questions for you. How did you know Judge Juan Wen? When did you meet him, and what did he do that pissed you off?”

@Vels Kruger
PM
^
Vels Kruger
 Posted: Jul 15 2018, 08:19 PM
Evolute
27 YEARS
Cartel
Tier 1
110 Posts

Vels blinked at the swearword. It threw him. It was not that people did not swear around him, but it was not frequent that people swore at him. Whether it was because of respect, fear, or a combination of the two, Vels had no idea. (In fact, he had always assumed that it was because people liked him quite a bit -- he was incredibly likable after all. Who didn't like Vels? He could do so many tricks.

Vels frowned. "Nonono." He shook his head as if Murad was misunderstanding the plot of a movie -- as if the gravity of the situation were not literally somewhere between prison and being emended. "I have to keep a gun for show you know? Like, you can't be a cop without a badge. People wouldn't take her seriously. So I got my gun so I can flash it? You know? Like --" He paused and then offered, "Have you seen Back in Blue?" A buddy cop drama-comedy.

The round of questioning kept his attention for a bit, but he kept looking around. He pressed his hands over his hears somewhere around the denial of a tuba player being hired to sooth Vels. He started shaking his head, and more frantically tried to pull away from the cuffs. It hurt; but the sound hurt more.

"Shh." he hushed. "Stop shouting." He whispered it and the sound washed through the room -- and then around the police station. Everything went silent for a moment, but Vels' control wasn't in tact. He could hear everything from the scratch of a pencil on a paper and water running through the pipes to the cacophony of every heart beating just off rhythm with one another and the raging noise of his own insides churning. "I don't know Juan Wen. I told you." He whispered this as well, but Murad would be able to hear it perfectly. "He didn't do anything to me -- or anyone I know." His blue eyes had shut tight with distress and they opened again.

Leveled. Anger lingered beneath Vels' surface for a split second again.

Like a petulant child, he asked: "If you're not going to listen to what I say, why are you asking questions?" His hand struck the table. The mirror across the room cracked.

Don't piss him off had been the sole suggestion of the Evolute DEA Operative.

@Murad Hassan
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV A marvel infinity war rp Marvel Heroes RPG GLITTER & GOLD

Infinite Dreams PJRPG Lochland Grove Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black
Miniprofile by charli and code box by thunderstuck
Cbox emoticons by cookiemagiK