Ark City
quick links
staff
December 2017 Featured RPG

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Beat of the Night, 18 April, 2167 / Bruce Vaughan
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: Apr 30 2018, 04:16 PM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

Oh jeez, that drummer was drunk as hell and that bassist was probably on speed or something, Colette shook her head, as she made her way to the ladies' room. In addition to all that, she felt a kind of hostility from the part of the band in her direction, like if they were thinking 'who does she think she is, Beethoven or what?'. Since she was on suppressants, she could only sense those intentions, but not the exact thoughts. Fortunately, the gig was over, and she won't ever have to play with these guys in the future. Okay, it was a nice way to earn some extra bucks, and she basically had nothing to do except for playing the keyboard accompaniment to their basic three-chord songs, but still, she felt it was somehow below her. Neverthless, it didn't discourage her from similar 'last minute replacement' jobs, and she felt she'll take the offer if she gets one from another band needing someone to sit in for their keyboard player who got the flu or something.

And at least the place was okay. It wasn't one of those super-frequented places common in Evendale, but a more underground sort of place, with less of a crowd and a better atmosphere. The whole place looked like some sort of punk-hipster joint, complete with graffiti and band posters on the walls, and colourful lights illuminating the otherwise darkish surroundings. Walking back from the ladies' room to the counter, Colette saw a former college classmate of hers, but she was apparently busy with her boyfriend or date or whatever. At least, she didn't take notice of the crappy gig, she thought with a sarcastic grin.

Taking a turn at the counter, Colette quickly ordered a glass of wheat beer, and began lurking around to see if she might find someone or something interesting present. Her search turned out to be successful, she thought, when she noticed someone familiar standing at the other side of the counter. The tallish guy was having a drink, apparently all by himself. She quickly recognized the person, he was that guy who wants to run for a city council seat, and hence appeared at last week's ECLU rally near the zoo, discussing his support for the organization with some of the ECLU leaders present. Col only took a brief look at the man then, as she was busy coordinating some protesters, but she thought he might be an interesting person, especially since he appeared to be so supportive of their case. Or maybe it was only to gain Evo votes? Well, here's the time to find that out.

Col took her drink, and slowly walked to the man. She didn't know if he'd seen their concert or not, hence if he was aware that she's the (temporary) keyboard player from the band which just peformed. Neverthless, her appearance, wearing pink striped leggings with black boots and a beige sweater, and having green-coloured streaks in her hair, will apparently strike him as not-so-usual. Or, well, in a place like this, it might not even be so.

"Hello.", she said with a smile, as she approached the man, "I'm looking for my pet Comodo dragon, I've lost him near the ladies' room. He can be anywhere, probably thirsty for human blood, so if you might see something or hear some panicking screams, please let me know, sir.", she said on a cordial, 'good girlish' tone. She was trying to get some glimpses of the man's thoughts, as she spoke. "Okay, just joking.", she then shrugged with a smile.

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: May 6 2018, 08:51 PM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts
Mental Manipulation - able to manipulate other people's minds through mind control, illusion projection, and memory manipulation, primarily.

It was just another manic Monday.

For the past two months, Bruce found himself in exceptionally good spirits the Monday after alternating weekends, the result of his sessions with Reese, rather the result of the entire experience. The dinner they shared before they played, the sessions themselves, the aftercare and winding down, and then breakfast and conversation the next morning, coupled with the confidence that his friend wouldn’t immediately rush off to instigate a bar fight that would end with blunt force trauma and a broken skull. His buoyed mood typically sustained him through Tuesday morning, when accumulated responsibilities overcame his lingering ecstasy, grounding him to his typically pleasant but put on mood.

His campaign was in full swing insofar as they were approaching the end of the fourth full month since his announcement, and with the spring weather providing outdoor venues, he had turned his attention during free time to hosting more events. He did his rounds through Haven and then outside of it, shoring up his support among institutions even when the majority of their members couldn’t vote for him, demonstrating solidarity with the organizations whose goals he supported and, in turn, he would assist should he unseat Rebecca Ramsey in November. This led to him attending an ECLU meeting recently, although he had donated to them frequently over the years, dating back to his early years of Shangri-La. He was an Evolute candidate, the first to run in Haven, inspired by Ayo Malik – the first to win in Ark. His platform was decidedly pro-Evolute without drifting into radical territory, an area that he lacked the luxury to entertain let alone advocate.

His free time was in shorter supply, between long hours at Shangri-La, his campaign events, family obligations, his sessions with Reese, and then fitting in time with his other friends and making the rounds of his social calendar. One might think that he had inherited his father’s enhanced stamina with how little he appeared to sleep these days. Glowing and effervescent, he had descended on the club tonight to make his rounds, and he sat near the bar with a cocktail in his hand, one he nursed slowly to remain within his limit.

The younger woman who saddled up beside him looked familiar beyond her place with the band earlier that evening, and he wracked his memory for where he would have known her. Not from Shangri-La; he never forgot a client.

It would come to him.

He returned the smile and took the opportunity to joke himself. “If you want a dragon, I can show you one tonight.”

For a few minutes. With her consent as he didn’t spring his illusions on people without their express permission.

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: May 7 2018, 03:44 AM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

What what?? Colette blinked. Was that some kind of an innuendo or what? Am I missing something? Guys now refer to their dick as a 'dragon'? If that's the case, she certainly wouldn't want to see that dragon. What was he referring to exactly? Strange way to introduce ourselves to a stranger in a bar.

"Errr... thanks, but no... No, thank you.", she replied, trying to figure out what did her new-found 'friend' was trying to refer to exactly, "Lucky is well enough for me. I'm sure he already ate a small child or something since I've left him. You know, how these Comodo dragons are. They never learn. I should've sticked to a canary or something."

"Did you see the band?", she then snapped, quickly diverting the topic of the conversation, "They were pretty bad.", she added with an awkward smile, "Except for the keyboard player. She was quite good."

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: May 8 2018, 06:36 PM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts
Mental Manipulation - able to manipulate other people's minds through mind control, illusion projection, and memory manipulation, primarily.

She had no reason to know that he was the last person in Ark to use such an uncouth pickup line or euphemism for his genitalia. No meticulous, refined, exceptionally polite Bruce Vaughan. Not with a stranger at a bar, and certainly not with a woman who appeared to be half his age and thus at least fifteen years outside of his dating window. She had no reason to know that he had come to relax and to make the rounds without any particular expectation or desire to find company when he returned home for the night.

Bringing his glass to his lips, he sipped the sour cocktail and nodded as though the exploits of an imaginary reptile were both true and interesting. “Canaries are so loud. Rabbits are vegetarian and quieter.” Softer as well, which made them easier to pet or to cuddle as many pet owners desired of their animal companions.

The conversation moved on, and she was either fishing for a compliment or wanted to joke a bit. Either way, he played along. Speaking of her in the third person, as though they were discussing a different band. “I did. You have to wonder why she sticks around after a performance like that. Do you know?”

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: May 9 2018, 05:18 PM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

Colette was still unsure about that dragon comment, but her insticts told her that the guy was referring to something else rather than his genitals. Neverthless, she was happy that the conversation got diverted from that subject. She was curious about the man's true personality, and where he stood, afterall, he wants to run on the election with ECLU support.

"Oh, well, true. Besides, I think, if I'd buy a canary, it would soon end up as my cat's dinner.", she replied with a gentle, but weirdish smile. It was true, she didn't think a canary would survive living under the same roof with Schrödinger.

From the man's reply to her words about the band and their - temporary - keyboards player, Colette suspected that he'd seen them perform and is aware that she was the one she was referring to. Neverthless, she decided to continue playing along for fun's sake.

"Oh, she probably just likes to have a drink or two after the show.", she said, looking at the man with her large blue eyes, "You know, from what I've heard, she's quite a weirdo. She loves to watch people crossing the street and list them according to the color of their pulover. She also enjoys playing imaginary bass guitar on the clothes drying rack when noone's watching. And she's also a huge ECLU supporter and likes to meet people who hold the same views as she does."

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: May 20 2018, 04:07 PM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts

“That does complicate everything,” he agreed gravely. Preexisting pets were not a concern in Bruce’s hypothetical, as he was not a pet owner, apart from during kennel club, and even that was roleplay and confined to Shangri-La rather than spilling over into the sanctity of his apartment.

She was a unique one, the way she continued to speak of herself in the third person, as though her own biographer rather than the woman herself. He listened carefully to her descriptions, filing away all of the little details that she considered important enough to share during this interlude. That she considered herself a ‘weirdo’ yet did so in a proud or, at the worst, self-deprecating manner rather than a denigrating one. That she wasn’t shy since she had initiated this conversation and enjoyed people watching (a hobby shared by Bruce). That she enjoyed music beyond her participation in this band (and had opinions about her bandmates) and wasn’t ashamed to engage in behavior more commonly associated with teenagers and college students – and Holy Moses did she look young. And that she supported the ECLU and recognized him.

Bruce flashed a smile and brought his drink to his lips, not yet taking a sip. “I’m also a supporter of the ECLU.”

They had received enough contributions from him over the years, certainly.

“They serve an invaluable purpose,” he added.

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: May 21 2018, 03:54 PM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

"Oh, it does. You don't know just how much Schrödinger can complicate my life.", Colette said, thinking about her cat and his antics, but realized whatever he'd do, even if he'd blow up the whole continent with a nuclear bomb, she couldn't think of that stinky little ball of fur otherwise than with the utmost love and affection, "It's been almost seven years since I've found him in a trash can as a kitten. Time flies awfully quick."

"Oh, well, then you're in good company. And they truly do.", the girl smiled with a nod, and glanced at the ECLU badge on her bag, "Anyways, I'm Nicolette Blanchet.", she suddenly extended her hand for the man to shake, realizing she totally forgot about introducing herself, "But call me Colette like everyone does. Oh, well, probably not everyone, I'm sure that guy who I've beaten in the pop culture trivia contest at Papa Joe's Pizza Place last month calls me 'That Lucky Little Bastard Who Can Eat Two Family-sized Pizzas for Free'."

"So, anyways, I've heard you're running for city council.", she snapped, quickly diverting the conversation to the route she was utmost interested in pursuing.

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: May 29 2018, 04:30 PM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts

Schrodinger Cat? How clever. Bruce smiled at the name and nodded a single time, actively listening as described the complications of cat ownership, the smile evaporating as she relayed the poor creature’s humble origins. The stray animal population in this city, but particularly in Jacks, was out of control and had been since long before Bruce had been a twinkle in his father’s eye. He had no pets himself, as his long hours, political ambitions, and afterhours lifestyle didn’t lend themselves to regular walks for dogs or the attention that even less demanding pets required. Still, he had empathy for the animals, and was always heartened to learn that one wretched creature or another had found a home somewhere.

Her hand appeared under his nose, and Bruce quickly set his glass on the bar so that he could return the gesture, his grip firm yet not excessive. He had nothing to prove. “Bruce Vaughan. It’s lovely to meet you, Colette.”

Sincere in that, despite how it sounded like a practiced platitude. He spoke that way to everyone, the result of life in hospitality so many years before dipping his toe in the political waters. “Is that two pizzas the one time? Or for the entire month?”

However, the conversation shifted from strangely intimate introductions to his campaign, and the mental manipulator switched gears. Nodding a single time, he confirmed, “I am – challenging the Haven incumbent because I know I’m not the only resident of my district tired of her priorities.”

Such as rampant genophobia. Holy Moses had he grown weary of that.

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: May 31 2018, 08:46 AM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

"Thank you.", Colette replied with a shy, awkward little smile. She suspected that the man has a well-built and well-practiced demeanour, like all politicians do, and calling it 'lovely' to meet her, was part of it, but she kinda felt he liked their conversation anyway.

"For the entire month!", she snapped with a proud smile, "Oh, jeez, I love pizza.", she added, then looked at herself, observing her small frame, "I don't really look like someone who does, I guess.", she said with an awkwardish smile. She so much wished she could gain some weight, just a little bit, but it seemed an impossible task. Whatever she ate, she just stayed skinny.

"Having the right people in the right places is quite important.", she then replied with a nod, "The ECLU knows that, I guess, that's why they support your campaign." She didn't know much about the going-ons in Haven, but she guessed, if someone who sides with the evolute rights supporters could be in the current councilor's place, the city might be a bit of a better place.

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 07:48 AM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts

A small delighted smile crossed his lips, her enthusiasm about the full spoils of her victory contagious. “So do I,” he admitted, although he didn’t participate in trivia contests and thus paid full price for each slice or pie he consumed. They could all take comfort in the prevalence of pizzerias prior to the Dome’s construction, ensuring that descendents enjoyed the delicacy a century later. And that there remained more than one in Ark, ensuring that they weren’t beholden to inferior recipes.

“It is. Representation and allies both,” he agreed. Ayo Malik’s campaign had lit a fire across Ark’s Evolute population at the beginning of the year – radiating outward from Evendale down to Evesdown. Bruce had been as invested as his brother and sister despite his inability to vote for the man; who among them could help but root for the first Evolute on the City Council in Ark’s history?

How could Bruce help but become inspired by the man’s persistence and success, tantalized now with the possibility of replacing the most virulently genophobic Councilmember with an Evolute to create a sympathetic 3-2 majority?

He paused to sip his cocktail before he continued, “I hope to do right by us all if I win. We could do a lot with an Evolute-friendly majority.”

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: Jun 6 2018, 02:40 PM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

An evolute-friendly majority in the council? That sounded like some awesome dream, and the thought that it might become a reality, sparked great enthusiasm in Colette. The right people in the right places, just like she said. When Ayo Malik ran for council, she tried to support his campaign by all means possible, and when he won the seat, she thought it's the beginning of a new era, a giant leap forward in many sense. If the next step - pro-evolute majority - is achieved, that would be another, even larger leap - especially given all those hate speech which surfaced recently from certain council members.

"I really hope it will become a reality.", she spoke up, "We have to get our voices heard. And the best way for that is doing it on the highest level."

The girl then decided to switch to a less serious tone, but still stay on the subject. Eagerly offering her services to her new-found friend, she snapped with a large playful smile. "Soooo... Maybe I could write a campaign song for you. How about it?", she rolled her eyes for a moment, then started singing in a false voice, "Vaughn is the man / He's the most awesome / Awesomely awesome / And smells like chocolate", she sang completely out of tune, "The other candidate / Smells like a rhino's arse / When it's taking a dump / In a dumpster"

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: Jun 17 2018, 07:42 AM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts

Bruce also hoped that it would become a reality. Over the past few months, his desire to win had blossomed from an effort to inspire others as Ayo Malik had inspired him to a heavy hope for success. Yet his ambition remained collective. Yes, he would like to win, but if not him, then someone else. Should he lose in Haven, he hoped that Evolutes with the capacity to handle a campaign in every district entered the race, to provide an Evolute alternative on the ballot.

If not in Haven, then why not in Nautas? Or Jacks? Or Spire?

And if that was possible then perhaps – not in the immediate future but within his lifetime – then why not an Evolute majority on the Council? The idealistic part of him, the one necessary for creating the dreams that he had pursued in his life, considered it possible – not inevitable – but possible with hard work, enough inspiration, and incremental change. Wouldn’t that be a sight?

The smile that settled on his lips was hopeful, genuine – not the mask of a politician who spoke idle platitudes divorced from his beliefs or his ambitions. Not the patient one of a person telling another what they wanted to hear. “Exactly. To think that the Council would have our issues in mind.”

Before he could expound further on the potential, she launched into an off-key and flattering but ultimately unacceptable campaign song. He laughed but shook his head in denial. “That’s catchy, but I have to be above board in everything. My unofficial motto is nothing negative.”

Larissa considered him an idealistic fool for his commitment to this policy. He considered it a necessary constraint as an Evolute with his reputation and powers running against an incumbent as popular, well-connected, and genophobic as Rebecca Ramsey.

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 02:44 PM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

"Okay, dokay. No rhino poo. Got it.", Colette said with a playful grin. Nothing negative? That's quite odd, she thought, and not exactly a working political strategy, at least not by her experience. Politics is a dirty game, and most people playing it are not exactly shy of using the meanest ways possible to shed some negative light on their opponents, and in most cases - unfortunately - it worked. It was interesting to see someone who resented these 'dirty tactics' this much. It seemed, her drinking companion was an idealist, which is admirable. The question is: can that mindset lead to success when one is competing in the race for votes?

"Honestly, I think those people spewing out hate speech as their everyday routine, would quite much deserve some negative talk circulating about them.", she then spoke up. She knew, of course, that projecting a hopeful, all-positive image is also an essential trait of a good politician, and Bruce's goals in council seemed really awesome, but when one's against such nasty people, one must use whatever possible to tackle them.

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: Jun 24 2018, 09:46 PM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
807 Posts

Unbeknownst to her, she was about to reignite a debate that Bruce had had with one of his (unofficial) campaign managers from the moment he had shared his desire to challenge Ramsey for her seat. Everyone in his life who had his ear for campaign matters had shared one opinion or another about his decision, and resulting commitment, to run a purely positive campaign. Larissa thought he was an idiot – in fairness, she thought him naïve but in such a way where some manner of stupidity came into effect because he had come of age in Evesdown and was carded for sport at a biweekly minimum. His brother agreed with his approach. Several other family members respected him but lamented the inequity because Ramsey wouldn’t pull her punches.

At the end of the day, she was a well-supported, well-connected incumbent, a wealthy Typic who represented the wealthiest district, the one that was as disproportionately Typics as could be achieved without expelling Bruce, the Malachites, and the handful of well-established families who had a child test positive at birth. While he was Bruce Vaughan, the smut-peddling Evolute from Evesdown who thought he could buy his way in with a smile, a wad of cash, and mind control powers.

No, as satisfying as it might be to fall from his pedestal, he represented all Evolutes in this campaign, not merely himself. He had to remain above reproach.

“I don’t disagree with that in theory,” he admitted, pausing long enough to finish the alcohol in his glass and to signal to the bartender that he desired another. “But that can’t come from the campaign. I’m not a challenger, I’m the Evolute challenger. It’s fundamentally unfair that anything I say or do will cast aspersions on all of us, but since it will, and I’m aware of it, I have to maintain decorum. Clean hands for everyone involved.”

He shrugged and set down his empty glass before gesturing expansively at the bar around them. “If we’re discussing private citizens condemning bigotry, then I’m all for it. I don’t cater to genophobes in my work.”

He had the luxury of complete control over Shangri-La’s clientele. SkyRail, bars, and restaurants were not always so lucky.

@Nicolette Blanchet
PM
^
Nicolette Blanchet
 Posted: Jun 25 2018, 12:19 PM
Evolute
23 YEARS
Institute
Tier 3
83 Posts
Telepathy

Colette listened through the man's explanation, but still couldn't fully agree with him. He sounded very naive, but at least, he was honest (or at least seemed to be). An honest politican was as rare as a white raven or something like that, and that concept seemed kinda intriguing. If elected, Bruce could be one of those in charge, who actually work for the people and not for his wallet. It seemed awesome, especially from an Evolute point-of-view, but still, his all-positive campaign didn't exactly seem to be a working one in such a political climte as this one.

"Clean hands.", she said with a nod, "Let's hope our clean hands can triumph over their dirty ones."

"What do you work exactly?", Colette then asked with a curious face, after taking a sip from her drink. Bruce mentioned his work, but she didn't exactly know what he was doing for a living. She knew he was kinda rich, and running some kind of business, but couldn't recall any specific details.

@Bruce Vaughan
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV A marvel infinity war rp Marvel Heroes RPG GLITTER & GOLD

Infinite Dreams PJRPG Lochland Grove Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black
Miniprofile by charli and code box by thunderstuck
Cbox emoticons by cookiemagiK