Ark City
quick links
staff
December 2017 Featured RPG
Ark City
Spring 2167 // March April May

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

One Saturday Morning, November 7, 2167, Tag: Bo Fierro
Bo Fierro
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 07:33 PM
Evolute
31 YEARS
Malachite
Tier 3
73 Posts
Ability to replicate the powers of other evolutes given time and proximity. This includes all of the good and bad that goes along with their powers .

He allowed Bruce's statement without question or protest. If he had taken out his wallet to give him the ID and Bruce had shook his head and waved his hand it would have been the same response.

Bo's baby slept softly, which he took as a good sign. He was good with animals, with other people -- he came here to volunteer because he was also good with children. It was the same reason that he sometimes spent his time at the Rec Center to make sure that the children there had what they needed; it was the same reason that he sometimes volunteered to help out at the Carrie Institute when they needed help on an outing and couldn't get enough paid staff.

One day, he imagined, he would use off of this experience gained through kindness and turn it on a child with his own blue eyes and his own name -- six generations in the making. In some ways, he knew this was selfish. There were so many children who needed homes--who was he to make one and leave another child homeless for this egotistical cause?

He was in the midst of this internal monologue when Bruce stated that he was an inspiration. "Thank you, sincerely, Mr. Vaughan." He laughed. "But I don't know that that is fair or true. I am merely the best me I am able to be; as you are the best you. The world would not do to have a thousand Beuford Fierros and no Rebecca Ramseys, just as it would not do to have a thousand Amelia Carries and no Bruce Vaughans." He smiled. "We are all, each of us, an important part." If everyone cleaned up Nautas, then what would Bo do during his hours off? If everyone put their half empty bags of chips into the trash, then what would robins eat when their stomachs rumbled? The world had always been made of thousands of animals, creatures, colors -- if God had wanted only green, he wouldn't have made orange or yellow.

Bo truly believed everyone was an inspiration in their own way.

The Malachite hesitated as Bruce revealed that he was not doing anything. He realized now, or at least wondered, if this had been the start to an invitation that had been stopped by Bo's busy schedule. So he offered one of his own: "If you would like to come to Nautas, we would be happy to have another pair of hands. There are no time sheets or requirements. You could stay for as long as your Harmony increased; and go as soon as you are no longer satisfied."

@Bruce Vaughan
PM
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: Feb 16 2018, 10:23 PM
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
668 Posts
Mental Manipulation - able to manipulate other people's minds through mind control, illusion projection, and memory manipulation, primarily.

Although Bo didn’t share his yearnings aloud, Bruce would have been sympathetic to them had he thought to give them voice. The mental manipulator had sired two children, a secret to all but a select few, because their Daddy was their Daddy in all the ways that mattered most. Bruce was their uncle, and when they were babies, he spent more time with them because he had the touch, but Avery was a toddler now and Mabel was in elementary school. Occasionally, he had pangs about a child of his own, raising one from infancy to adulthood rather than babysitting and popping into recitals. For a child to call him Daddy rather than only his play partners. It was impractical, but not immoral. There was nothing immoral about bringing a child into this world to love.

Bo might believe that everyone was an inspiration in their own way, but Bruce vehemently disagreed. Owing both to his general agnosticism and his refusal to attribute to the Divine the choices of humanity. Suffering and poverty were caused by myriad human choices and systems, none of which came from the Lord guiding someone’s head, hands, or heart. Some people’s choices made the world worse and no amount of positive spin could change that simple fact. As a society, they could end genetic tests tomorrow. Cut up their ID cards. Free the DEA agents from their employment contracts. Cease administering suppressant except to those Evolutes who voluntarily sought it out to counter the effects of their powers. (As he knew that some people did, although he was not among their ranks.) Find permanent housing for the residents of Sanctuary Park. Institute a jobs program for the unemployed. Nothing external stopped them, only the failures of the collective will to do so.

That benefitted nobody.

Bruce would never nudge people in the right direction, even when convinced he knew better; he respected consent far too much for that. His worship at the altar of informed consent tied his hands, but it didn’t place rose-colored glasses on the bridge of his nose. Rebecca Ramsey might bring comfort to her family, but her political opinions were hardly an inspiration. The Cartel, the Entente, Typics United; they weren’t the vultures feeding on carrion and contributing to the ecosystem in an unappreciated way. They were blight, brought about by greed or bigotry, and the absence of their actions would bring only peace upon the city. No murders. No kidnappings. No attempts to poison Evolutes with black market suppressant. No keeping human beings in cages and forcing them to fight. No underground drug trafficking. No extortion. No usury or protection rackets.

If only.

He said none of this, shared it neither through speech nor facial expression or body language. The same smile remained on his lips as he burped the tiny girl in his arms, before shifting her back to try the nipple again. Her itty-bitty lips rooted for several seconds before making contact; Bruce held her head securely while she had seconds of her mid-morning meal.

“I’m sure there are days when I could be a better Bruce than I am.” Humor and self-deprecation seemed a better topic than reminding Bo of misery to which he wasn’t blind. The younger man had admitted moments ago to giving all he could to those in Sanctuary Park, after all. What was the point in sparking an argument that he didn’t want and in which Bo wouldn’t participate?

The offer caught him off-guard, although, in retrospect, he should have realized Bo might extend an invitation the moment the words had left his lips about being alone. It was generous, despite not being Bruce’s cup of tea. Surely it would be a mostly-Malachite affair. A grateful smile touched his lips as he replied, “That’s kind of you, Bo. But I might go for a drink after this. Or go dancing.” He paused briefly before asking, “Do you ever go dancing?”

@Bo Fierro
PM
^
Bo Fierro
 Posted: Apr 13 2018, 11:34 AM
Evolute
31 YEARS
Malachite
Tier 3
73 Posts
Ability to replicate the powers of other evolutes given time and proximity. This includes all of the good and bad that goes along with their powers .

Bo could not hear the monologue and the arguments that Bruce had in his mind, and so he smiled at the gentle self-deprecation from a man who clearly did not suffer from a lack of self-esteem or ego. Should either of those have been in jeopardy, perhaps Bo would have offered a pick-me-up. Perhaps he would have come up with a dozen ways to explain that Bruce was important because he was him; but there was no reason to. He needed no assurance that his life was meaningful and so Bo did not offer it.

"I could likely be a better Bo than I usually am as well." he smiled. "But I do try -- to be the best Bo I can be." Even on days when the DEA called him in to help them and he sat in silence for over two hours as he waited for someone to inform him why he was there. He tried to quell his frustration. It was their right to call him there and waste his day -- he had not chosen these abilities that God had given him, but the world was safer for the DEA's regulation, and their concerns were validated when he saw a powerful evolute on the evening news.

People had once feared bullets and bombs; now they feared people. It was a sad fate, but Bo didn't let himself linger on it.

A smile crossed his lips. "That sounds like a pleasant way to spend a Saturday." He offered and then he laughed. His smile ran from one cheek to the other and creased his face in a way that might have been unattractive on a man who didn't glow with joy from the statement. His laugh started his baby, and he pulled himself back, and child was lulled back into comfort again.

Bo's lips pressed to the boy's head and he went quiet, just gazing at him for a moment. It wasn't hard to imagine what he was thinking about -- a man in his thirties whose life revolved around helping, protecting and saving others. There would have been nothing more precious in the world to protect. Yet he still did not voice this longing.

His eyes moved back to focus on Bruce. "Of course I go dancing." he offered, "I know I don't seem like much fun, but I do have my moments." Like Bruce's statement, it was a joke at his own expense without self-hatred mixed in. He knew how people perceived him, but it did not change how he truly was.

"In truth, however, I did attend the Day of the Dead party. I finish working in Nautas when the sun sets. I could meet you, if you would like a partner, though I must admit, if it's anything remotely formal, I don't know that I have the appropriate attire." This was merely honesty. It was not said with embarrassment or frustration, merely candor. He could not attend a formal or semi-formal event on short notice; in fact, if something had a dresscode, he likely would not be able to meet it.

@Bruce Vaughan | Two hundred years later, I bestow upon you a Bo reply. Enjoy. o/////o; I'm so embarrassed it took so long.
PM
^
Bruce Vaughan
 Posted: Yesterday at 05:03 pm
Evolute
45 YEARS
Citizen
Tier 3
668 Posts
Mental Manipulation - able to manipulate other people's minds through mind control, illusion projection, and memory manipulation, primarily.

Both of Bruce’s eyebrows shot up, although the expression of surprise was carefully cultivated rather than uncontrolled disbelief. He had no doubt that Bo felt that way about himself, but he disagreed strenuously and with the confidence that were they to take this to the court of public opinion, Bruce would find himself vindicated as every passerby even marginally familiar with Bo would reach the same conclusion as Bruce had. That improvement in this area was largely theoretical because the younger man already went so far above and beyond in the arenas of kindness, patience, and generosity.

“You’re the best Bo that I know,” he replied firmly, and then he left the topic behind so that they could avoid the discomfort of the younger man expressing further humility while Bruce rattled off a list of everything he knew that Bo had done for others, incomplete because there must be hundreds of deeds that had never come to Bruce’s attention, ones for his sect and his family and then others that went unnoticed by everyone else entirely.

“I’ve been accused of not being fun either.” A complaint most frequently leveraged by Larissa when her attempt to goad him into some grey activity or another fell flat and occasionally coupled with a remark about how he was old now and had forgotten how to let his hair down. Less frequently he heard similar sentiments from others, those who had heard and believed the rumors and were disappointed rather than relieved to find that they veered from reality. The people who wanted him to live a life of intemperate debauchery and instead found the immaculate business owner who volunteered on weekends and limited his alcohol intake outside of particularly rare occasions.

The younger man mentioned his wardrobe, incidentally confirming one of Bruce’s suspicions and further solidifying the plan that had entered his mind earlier in their conversation. They would have to do something about Bo’s wardrobe at a later date.

“I might live in Haven but not everywhere I go is so fashionable and expensive,” he assured his companion. The baby in his arms nestled closer, and Bruce paused to kiss the top of her hair again, murmuring soft reassurances that she was safe and loved and that her parents would come for her later that day. Once she had settled, he returned to the conversation, leveling his gaze on the other man. “I know a more casual club in Evesdown if you’d like to meet up tonight.”

@Bo Fierro
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates

RPG-D RPG Initiative Candyland Couture Shadowplay
-------
Maelstrom: You create the galaxy Vector Code 8 Age of Heroes

ideal world TR UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED XL OHaV Δrk City Δrk City

skin made by mstx at cttw, shine, & atf
toggle sidebar by subdevo and custom forum structure by black